Possible to have multiple email subject lines write to the same Issue?

Jessica December 18, 2013

Using Jira 6.1 and Service Desk
I'm creating tickets via mail handler, but have a need for emails with slightly different subject lines to write to the same issue. Is there a way to set a filter on how Jira reads the subject line? Example
Email 1 = Example ABC Start (this creates the issue)
Email 2 = Example ABC Escalate (this I need added to the above issue)

Email 3 = Example DEF Start (would create new issue)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2013

Are you able to add the issue key to the subject? That would solve the problem.

For example,

Email 1 = Example ABC Start (this creates the issue with key EXAMPLE-123)
Email 2 = Example ABC Escalate [EXAMPLE-123]

Email 3 = Example DEF Start [EXAMPLE-123]

Jessica December 18, 2013

I don't think so, these are automated emails coming from a monitoring system, maybe I could use API calls once the first email creates the issue to plug it into the monitoring system email? BUT if I could do it, here's the second question part:
I don't have the issue key in the database for 6.1 but I do see it in the UI (from a view maybe?) the jiraissue table now has issuenum that corresponds to the numeric value of the key I see on screen. So is the mailhandler looking for the key as presented in the UI or the database value?

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2013

Ah, that is a bit trickier. Yes -- the mail handler looks for the key as presented in the UI. You need the project key and issue number in order to uniquely identify a particular issue.

Here's a SQL query that can piece that together for you:

SELECT 
    concat(project_key.project_key,
            '-',
            jiraissue.issuenum) as 'issuekey',
    summary
FROM
    jira.jiraissue
        JOIN
    jira.project_key ON jiraissue.project = project_key.project_id;

There is also a pretty decent REST API for this, if that option is any better for you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events