Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perl crashes when I use SourceTree

Paul Collins March 4, 2012

Whenever I am using any part of the SourceTree window, OS X perl crash alerts appear every few minutes. When I stop using SourceTree, the crashes stop. Any solution or workaround?

They occur about every 5 to 15 minutes, seem to happen about the time SourceTree refreshes the branch history list. It remains blank for half a second, but reappears ok. SourceTree itself seems to work fine.

I've tried switching bettwen system git and built-in git, no difference. libsvn appears in the backtrace. I have a bookmark to an svn repository, but am currently using it with two git repos (private via ssh, not hubs).

OS X 10.7.3, SourceTree 1.3.2, Xcode 4.2 and 4.3.

crash report: http://pastebin.com/JD3a2RBV

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Collins March 7, 2012

Problem solved here. It looks like authentication failure on my subversion repository was triggering the perl crash. We fixed authentication there (well, we fixed what our ldap server was doing), and the crashes stopped. I had not tried to log into subversion for a while, which is why I didn't know that was the problem.

While subversion auth was failing, it looked like this in SourceTree when doing fetch on the subversion repo:

git -c core.quotepath=false svn fetch

Authentication realm: <https://svn.digitalfish.com:443> Subversion code repository

Password for 'xxxxx':

Authentication realm: <https://svn.digitalfish.com:443> Subversion code repository

Username: Use of uninitialized value $username in chomp at /usr/local/git/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 4048.

error: git-svn died of signal 11

Completed with errors, see above

in command line, trying to use svn just acted like I didn't have the right password.

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2012

This appears to be when SourceTree is calling 'git svn fetch' in the background to populate the incoming/outgoing markers. I presume therefore that you have at least one git-svn repository configured in your bookmarks. git-svn uses perl hooks to Subversion, and its these that are crashing.

What version of Subversion are you using?

Paul Collins March 5, 2012

That's right, I use one remote svn repo and two remote git repos. I used the svn repo for a couple of months before adding the git repos. Interestingly, I did not see the crash until I added the git repos. The crash occurs even if I do not open the svn bookmark.

I removed some old svn authentication files for old servers (in ~/.subversion/auth) and restarted, but perl still crashes.

svn, version 1.6.17 (r1128011) compiled Nov 8 2011, 18:14:46 (the OS X-installed binary)

thanks.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2012

Hmm, my OS X installed version is 1.6.17 too (although built on Feb 1 2012 for some reason). I have lots of git and git-svn repositories in my bookmarks, and I don't see this problem. Indeed, explicitly fetching from a number of git-svn repositories works fine. Do you get the same problem if you open one of your git-svn repositories and use the 'Fetch' toolbar option?

If you have git installed on your command line too, you might want to try changing your Preferences > Git to 'System Git' to see if that makes any difference. There appears to be some clash going on here but I'm just not sure what.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events