P4Merge is not launched from SourceTree for Windows

mcfoggy September 26, 2013

Hi,

I do not understand why p4merge is not launching when I select "Resolve Conflict/Launch External Merge Tool".

If I setup p4merge in the options the te configuration seems ok.

My .gitconfig is modified by Sourcetree with

[difftool "sourcetree"]
	cmd = 'D:/dev/tools/diff/WinMerge/WinMergeU.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"
[mergetool "sourcetree"]
	cmd = 'D:/dev/tools/diff/P4Merge/p4merge.exe' \"$BASE\" \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\" \"$MERGED\"
	trustExitCode = true

My SourceTree userconfig file contains:

<setting name="MergeTool" serializeAs="String">
   <value>2</value>
</setting>

BUT if I stop SourceTree & relaunch it, the merge configuration gets lost and is set again to "System Default" !!!

Even when I configure it in a running session (without restarting it), what Sourcetree does is that it creates 4 files:

- MyFile.ext.BACKUP.rev.ext

- MyFile.ext.BASE.rev.ext

- MyFile.ext.LOCAL.rev.ext

- MyFile.ext.REMOTE.rev.ext

and stays with a popup "Visual Merge in progress".

If from a CMD window and launch p4merge.exe with the correct arguments, it is launched correctly and works as expected.

Is there any option to activate some logging or traces to understand what is occuring.

Even if I look at the Windows Task Manager I never see any p4merge.exe process being launched or try to be launched.

My Configuration:

- Windows7 64 bits

- SourceTree 1.2.3.0 (was teh same with previous versions)

- P4Merge/NTX64/2013.2/685046

Hope to find some help.

Matthieu

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mcfoggy December 13, 2013

Hello Kieran & David,

just receiving the notification of your post, I was preparing myself to open a JIRA ticket but saw an update was there for SourceTree. I installed it (version 1.3.3.0) and restested with a blank fresh new local repo in which I pushed a text file modified in branch and merged back again (with conflict of course). P4Merge has been launched correctly now.

So from my side the problem of launching P4Merge is not there anymore in this version.

Thanks.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2013

Glad to hear that Matthieu! If you've got any more concerns/questions then feel free to ask away.

cowlinator April 22, 2019

This is broken again in 3.0.17

2 votes
David Gindy July 21, 2016

I don't see a solution for this issue.  I'm currently running the latest version of both p4merge and source tree and p4merge will still not open for the external diff. It just opens winmerge.  Any recommendations?

1 vote
Dan Schey November 16, 2018

Make a note of the Command & Arguments settings for p4merge, then change the merge tool to "Custom" and place the Command and Arguments for p4merge in the fields.

1 vote
Delette Collins July 29, 2014

I'm having this exact same issue and I'm on the latest version 1.5.2 WIN

1 vote
David Lay December 12, 2013

Having the exact same problem three months later. c'mon guys! any answer?

0 votes
David Lay December 15, 2013

Finally got it to work, but I was running lastest version. I noticed that if I did resolve a conflict manually (mark as resolved) it would start to launch p4. but was not just p4, was any external merge tool that was being blocked (tried with tortoise and beyond compare). Maybe there is a underlying bug with the switch of external merge tools that's causing this problems.

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2013

Hi Matthieu / David,

Could you open a support ticket on support.atlassian.com? From here the support team will be able to help you out directly.

Thanks in advance

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events