Numbered Section Headings

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Page Layouts, Columns and Sections

My company is going to Confluence and the customer has specific formatting for all documentation. How do Tech writers insert/use numbered headings (e.g., 1.0 SECTION TITLE, 1.1 Subsection Title, 1.1.1, Sub-subsection title) in Confluence?

2 answers

0 votes

Natively, you don't - numbered headings aren't particularly pretty or useful on web-based docs, so Confluence doesn't have them built in. 

They do work better on paper and a lot of people print, so you can probably guess that there's an add-on for them.  There may be others, but the one I've used most is https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/nl.avisi.confluence.plugins.numberedheadings/cloud/overview

Some of the export add-ons also allow you to add them (Scroll export is the one I've used, and that's ideal - numbered headings when printing them, none when just viewing)

Auto Numbered Headings https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1219286  can be used for applying and removing heading numbers in just a single click of button for whole space. It works well for web pages as well as exported content. It also provides a macro in case numbering needs to be applied on only selective pages.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published 3 hours ago in Jira Ops

Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #2: Let’s talk severity levels

Welcome to your weekly Jira Ops Early access program update, where we’re sharing news and updates on Jira Ops' progress as we work toward our 1.0 release. If you ever want to drop us feedback or idea...

13 views 0 0
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you