Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not seeing Confluence Sidebar Options

Shreena Patel April 11, 2013

Hi there,

I have tried following the instructions from your Configuring a Sidebar Documentation. It says you need to have space administration permissions to see the Configure Sidebar options. I have administration rights i.e. I am a Confluence Administrator but I cannot them. Initially I saw this when I created the space and it had the default theme but when I switched to documentation theme and reversed it, it does not show up. Under Global permissions only the system-administrator has system administration rights. I cannot change this. Is there a way I can add myself to this group as it seems like it's Atlassian who has this right. This user is the only person who belongs to confluence-administrators and system-administrators group.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shreena

6 answers

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2013

This problem is probably because the Space Theme is the 'Documentation Theme' and it doesn't have a sidebar. To change the theme follow: Applying a Theme to a Space

You have to be space administrator (not system-administrator) to do so.

Then the sidebar will appear when the Theme is changed to Global Look and Feel.

If it doesn't, you'll have to change the Default Confluence Look and Feel to the new Default Theme too. http://<your-instance>/wiki/admin/choosetheme.action

Cheers!

zoma plex August 13, 2019

Hello @Mauro Badii 

I am using confluence 6.13.5 and i have a question regarding the sidebar. When we are in Homepage we can able to see the page tree but when we switch to Questions/Blogs or in Space tools section, the page tree disappears. Can we keep the page tree visible throughout the space irrespective of which section we navigate.

Regards
Bhakti Prasad Panda

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2019

Hi @zoma plex , the navigation bar is contextual to the content you are viewing so in Questions, Blogs and configuration pages the content shown will be related to what you are seeing. The Page Tree is related to the hierarchy of the page so it may not provide benefits on showing it for every blog that don't have the same hierarchy.

It is not possible to change the sidebar behaviour to keep the page tree showing all the time.

Would you like to explain more on your use case and why it is important to see the page tree all the time? there may be other ways of solving your problem without changing the sidebar behaviour. 

I suggest looking for different answers or raising a support request if this is crucial to your daily usage as there may have been others looking for the same behaviour that I don't know of :)

Cheers!

0 votes
Origin IT December 4, 2013

Has there been an update on this? We are facing the same problem..

0 votes
Deleted user April 29, 2013

Same to me with Confluence 5.1.1 download. Can't find "Configure sidebar" in my installation mentioned in the documentation.

0 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2013

I am afraid you won't be able to add yourself as system administrator as it is a restricted function on Atlassian OnDemand. Please check your theme if it's documentation theme, if it only shows the page tree, then most likely you're using documentation theme instead of the default theme.

Shreena Patel April 15, 2013

The issue is, even if I switch themes, it doesn't change like it is meant to. It looks exactly the same as the documentation theme.

0 votes
Shreena Patel April 14, 2013

I've just tried that, still can't get the configure sidebar to come up i.e. Pages and Blogs. Looks like the usual page tree.

0 votes
Chung Park Chan
Atlassian Team
April 11, 2013

Have you tried clicking the '[' symbol? That will initially toggle the sidebar.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events