Moving file system location of Confluence attachments

We are hosting Confluence on a server with two drives, C and D. All Confluence program and data files are on drive C. We are using the file system for Attachment Storage. We are running out of space on drive C and I'd like to move attachment storage to drive D. Can anyone kindly let me know if this is possible, if it requires me to move other Confluence files, and whether there is a guide that will help me achieve this?

1 answer

0 vote
Peter Koczan Atlassian Team Jan 21, 2013

Dear Ish,

The attachments are stored in the <CONFLUENCE-HOME> folder. Moving only the attachments is not that easy, thus I would suggest you to move the whole <CONFLUENCE-HOME> folder.

For this:

1. Shut down Confluence
  2. Copy the full contents of the <CONFLUENCE-HOME> directory to the new desired location
  3. Modify the <CONFLUENCE-INSTALL-DIR>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/ file so that the confluence.home variable will point to the new location
  4. Start Confluence

Please note the difference between <CONFLUENCE-HOME> and the <CONFLUENCE-INSTALL-DIR>. Also, you may need to clear the plugin cache before starting Confluence again.

You may also want to take a look at this article:

Kind regards,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

169 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot