Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate after force push

Karl Stein February 27, 2013

I've got a private git repo I want to make public in the future. Unfortunately, I had hardcoded a password for testing which I now need to get rid of.

So I performed a local git filter-branch search-replace and force-pushed it to bitbucket. Now, the original commits (with the password) are still visible.

Any way to change this? Any way to move the tags or even comments from the old commits to the new ones?

Any help appreciated!

2 answers

0 votes
Valeriy Garnitskiy November 21, 2013

How I can get list of all commits in new branches from pre-receive hook?

Example: I create a new branch and add several commits. After that I push new branch on remote repo. Git rev-list show only last commit_id.

0 votes
evzijst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2013

No, I don't get that? If you use filter-branch to remove things that way and then force-push all the new refs (replacing all the old refs), none of the old commits should be visible as they're not on any ref anymore.

Where do you see the old commits? Or is it when you explicitly go to the old changeset URL that you still see that commit? In that case that is to be expected, as git doesn't immediately remove commits (it wait up to a month before it actually deletes old commits from disk).

If this is not helpful, feel free to contact support by emailing support@bitbucket.org. Be sure to include URLs to the places where you see references to your old commits and we'll have a look.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events