Method/tool to convert any other markup to Confluence Wiki Markup?

Trish Pulley May 3, 2012

Hello! We are in the process of migrating a massive amount of data from Lotus Notes into Confluence. The client has asked that we preserve the formatting of the text. I can provide exported text in some kind of markup, but not directly to Confluence Wiki Markup. Searching around, it appears as though the import ability of Confluence does not include converting other markups (MIME, HTML, etc.) into the Confluence Wiki Markup format. Since we have hundreds of thousands of Notes documents to convert, we need to have a way to automate this transfer.

Please tell me that my initial suspicion is wrong! I'm new to all things Atlassian so I'm just beginning the journey!

Thank you,

Trish P.

5 answers

0 votes
Ram April 30, 2015

Greetings !!!..

We have a similar requirement to convert thousands of forms from Lotus Notes Confluence. Each forms in Lotus Notes may have documents attached or as a screenshots on the form. Please let me know if you came across any tool for this conversion. Also, please let me know the reliability of Confluence when the forms/document grows. 

Thanks in Advance for your help.

0 votes
James Tran June 25, 2013

I also have a customer who has thousands of documents in a Lotus Notes DB and looking to convert those into Confluence Wiki pages. Is there a known solution anyone? Thanks

Ragnar Skulason June 26, 2013

What we did is export pages from Lotus Notes to .DXL and images+attachments with some Lotus notes exporting script. I wrote a DXL parser that transforms the richtext (the document body) in the DXL to xhtml and generates metadata from the DXL (sections, authors, history, etc). I then use this to recreate the content in Conflunce, create spaces, pages, add attachments, etc.

So I did not find 'out of the box' solution for this, so I had to do it my own way. :)

Mario March 17, 2015

Could you explain me with more details please, how do you do? Thanks in advance

0 votes
Lorenzo Solano Martinez June 2, 2013

I have a simmilar situation: we have a 'Report a Bug' form in our web app. But we are using a dijit/Editor (dojo framework), and this control gives you the content as HTML. So when we create the issue, using JIRA's REST API, the description shows all HTML tags.

I know that the {html} macro can solve my problem but our JIRA installation is OnDemand ant it has the {html} macro disable for security reasons.

I'm looking for an API that allows us to convert from HTML to the Wiki Markup language used by JIRA (I do not know the exact name of this Wiki Markup language). Ideally we look for a JavaScript API to avoid dependencies on server side libs or a standalone applications.

Lorenzo,

Ragnar Skulason June 26, 2013

Have you tried to post something via API to confluence?

Conflunce does not use Wiki markup anymore. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confluence_%28software%29#Controversy_over_the_discontinuation_of_wiki_markup_language

I post xhtml to the confluence soap API with great success.

0 votes
Sandra Axelsdóttir [Tempo] March 25, 2013

Trish,

did you find a solution for this? I have a customer that needs to do the exact same thing and also has thousands of documents.

Sandra

0 votes
Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2012

Have you looked at the Universal Wiki Converter? It has quite a comprehensive documentation for developers too.

Trish Pulley May 7, 2012

Yes, thank you, Azwandi! I found it Friday and I'm researching how closely it matches what we need. I also passed the link along to the Confluence developer to review. I would ideally like to connect with another developer who has converted Notes to Confluence to ask some questions, like -- do we have to export Notes to some kind of wiki format, then convert that wiki format to the Confluence Wiki format by using the Universal Wiki Converter?

My dilemma is that we are dealing with a massive amount of documents (perhaps in the millions) and in some cases they've used Notes Rich Text fields so extensively that there is text, a bunch of screen shots, more attachments, more text, 20 more screen shots, etc. Everything needs to stay in place in its context, whether it be the screen shot, the text (formatted, mind you) or the icon for the file attachment. A manual effort to convert this would require a fleet of people and they'd be very busy for a long time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events