Load balancing Crowd

We are currently using Crowd to authenticate Jira and Confluence.

Recent development on our core applications includes the use of Crowd for authentication. This put me in a situation where I would like Crowd to be (more) redundant.

Current set up is on 1 virtual server. The hardware this server is on is currently unknown and I have a request put in to our ASP in regards to information on the hardware (e.g. at least have the most error-prone components redundant).

Having suitable hardware is just step 1. I would really like to have the Crowd installation redundant. I've done some research and found the following links:

It seems to me that there are some issues in regards to the setup - one example is that other Crowd installations using the same db must be turned off when adding a new application to Crowd. This is not the biggest of issues as we do not add that many applications during a year - but still...

Solution is either to use hardware or software in front of the two (LB) and have the related applications use the cluster ip-address instead of the specific server ip address we use today. My question is how to avoid the hardware/software solution in front (the actual LB) becoming the single point of failure? Yes, we can have two of this as well, but there is something called costs :)

Can anyone tell me:

• is it possible to have a single LB instance and have traffic routed directly to the ip address of one of the servers behind the LB if it goes down?
  • Will Jira/Confluence/other applications manage this switch?

Or is my only solution to duplicate the LB instances?

1 answer

1 accepted

To us this is no longer needed. As we where unable to get Crowd working behind a ISA server, we discontinued the use of the application.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 3 hours ago in Agile

What is ChatOps? A guide to its evolution, adoption, and significance

I am the product of AIM. I can hear that door swinging open and closed in my mind with absolute fidelity. I’d recognize that ding anywhere. At 15, as I typed away into AOL IM, I never imagined that ...

17 views 1 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you