Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left navigation pane reloading

MPal Pal June 13, 2012

Hi all,

Is there a way to stop reloading the left navigation panel each time a link is clicked? I think the content should load but why does the left navigation panel reloads? It is very distracting to the end user :(

Thanks

6 answers

0 votes
Deleted user June 21, 2012

I agree with Charles that by adding back the pagetree, you're just recreating the problem. But I respectfully disagree :) that you need to do programming if you're just after a simple table of contents on the left that displays all the time.

By "wiki markup" I meant "old-fashioned links", eg

[Home page|Latin text]
[Contacts]
[Design]
[Development]

(I thought I ought to put my money where my big mouth is before spouting off nonsense. ). As you can see, it works perfectly for a very simple, fixed, one-layer structure. It does not work if you have nested (child) pages.

CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2012
That works nicely up to a point, but will not meet Mpal's expectation that the content should load without the navigation panel reloading. For that I think you'd need a certain amount of development work as I say, using Ajax for example to GET the page requested, pull out the required content from the response and update the content region of the page (plus action links etc). Your solution may well be perceived by users to be an Improvement though, if as you say, the page structure is flat. The normal page tree can take some time to render, whereas rendering here should be quick.
0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2012
By adding the page tree macro back in you're pretty much putting back in place the default behaviour! Instead, try including a page from your space where you've set up a navigation scheme which doesn't result in full page refreshes, I.e. With JavaScript or Ajax. This will allow you to click in the nave pane to expand/ contract branches. If you want to update just the contents when clicking on a page then that's going to involve a lot of Ajax processing. Not impossible, but tricky certainly as it's not just page content but labels, events, etc. If this functionality is important then I'd suggest lodging a feature request with atlassian.
0 votes
MPal Pal June 20, 2012

Thanks Kathleen. I have already unchecked the pagetree and added this code:

{pagetree:startDepth=2|searchBox=true}

Just to expand the tree nodes.

Still the left navigation panel also loads whenever I click on a link. Say the left panel has two topics X and Y. When I click on X the page content as well as the navigation panel loads. When I click Y again the navigation panel loads. This is not the ideal way to do it. The navigation panel should not keep refreshing itself. Only the content page should load. :(

0 votes
MPal Pal June 20, 2012

Thanks Charles.

I am actualy surprised the default theme doesn't have an option to prevent it from being reloaded. :(

Anyway, my left navigation panel structure is fixed. Do you know how to hard code it pls? I am not a developer so building one from scratch sounds overkill at this point.

Deleted user June 20, 2012

You need to be a space admin. Try this:

1. Use Browse > Space Admin > Themes > Documentation theme
  2. Uncheck the Pagetree box
  3. In the Navigation pane, enter wiki markup with links to the fixed pages in the space

0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2012
You can customise the contents of the left navigation pane. So, turn off the default page tree and put a custom one in it's place which behaves way you want. This will require development though, unless your structure is fixed and you're happy to hard code it.
0 votes
MPal Pal June 17, 2012

Any chance of getting an aswer pretty please? :)

Deleted user June 17, 2012

An answer would be nice, because it is an annoying feature. I've never heard of a cure for it, though.

Happy to be corrected if there is!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events