Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira, Confluence, Fisheye: Partition users into projects

David Bacon December 17, 2011

Please, take pity on me! ;-) Point me to a tutorial or guide?

I have 3 projects: p1, p2, p3

There are ~10 users.

How the hell do I configure Jira, Confluence, and Fisheye so certain users can access certain projects? Like *nix, I want to create a group for each project and assign users to the appropriate group. Seems simple enough, but I cannot find the correct incantations to make that work. Do I need to sacrafice a goat? Or, should I wear some silly hat and burn incense? Eye of newt?

I've been pouring through the doc and it talks about permission schemes, etc. There must be a simple tutorial laying about. This *cannot* be a unique need or request!

An OnDemand configuration.

Many, many thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
David Bacon January 2, 2012

Howdy Nic, et al,

I am not married to the idea of implementing as I have described. Is there a better way? I would love to have a recommendation for a better way to implement. Please ... I welcome your advice and guidance and welcome better ideas!

Yes, I have bumped into the default groups issue. And, I think I have overcome it. My permission schemes for each of p1, p2, and p3 will be used and the default, jira-users, will be removed from each project.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2011

The docs on permission schemes are what you need. They're not too complex until you're trying to do something clever. If you want to do it the way you've said (basic groups, which is fine until you hit large installations). Crowd, (or each individual app if you're using them standalone) has groups. You put users into those groups, and then use the groups in permission schemes.

The main difficulty I find is the defaults. As an example, off-the-shelf, Jira comes with three groups - jira-admins, jira-users and jira-developers. It then uses those three groups in permission schemes to do stuff. The problem is that it whacks everyone into jira-users automatically and uses that group. By the time most experienced admins get at a Jira installation, it's in a right old mess, because jira-users has been used everywhere, and what you really wanted was a fourth group of "can login but not do anything else", and jira-users to be separate.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events