Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there documentation for SourceTree for Windows?

J Herbers April 7, 2013

I've looked through the app and the Atlassian site and I can't seem to find any standard documentation for SourceTree for Windows. I'm just looknig for simple things like how to use Stash (manually or as part of Rebase).

All I see on this site is a FAQ which answers a few specific questions rather than providing an overview and/or details of the functionality of the app. Might there be any guides or videos describing the main features and how the app might be used?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

The introductory help hasn't been ported over from Windows yet (it's on my list) - right now we're kind of relying on the fact that SourceTree mirrors the git concepts and is hopefully fairly intuitive.

Stash just parks your changes away from your working copy, a bit like manually taking a patch of your uncommitted changes and then resetting (mostly it just automated and records that, although when applying the stash to bring those changes back again later it's a little smarter than patches).

J Herbers April 8, 2013

Some kind of documentation would be good since Git is anything but obvious :)

In my specific example, I'm wondering when I do a pull/rebase if it's auto-stashing any working copy changes beforehand and then reapplying it after ? This is an option in tools like Git Extensions and I use it often.

[Simpler question: I just used the Stash button to stash changes. But now the Stash button is grayed out and I don't see the stash shown anywhere - how do I get it back?! Oh, I see, there's a Stashes node in the tree in the left panel that I had been ignoring - Stashes was still shown collapsed even though I had just created a stash so it wasn't obvious.]

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2013

No, I'm not really a fan of auto-stashing, it's possible the un-stash can fail due to conflicts and I'd prefer if people just got the error message and decided what to do. For me, that's usually to commit then pull/rebase rather than stash/pull/rebase/unstash because I don't like the possibility that my files could end up conflicted without a commit 'stake in the ground'. When you commit locally first, you always have your changes stored unaltered, which is one of the great things about DVCS. The 'pulling into uncommitted changes' approach with the possibility of your uncommitted changes being mixed in with conflicts from other people's work is too much like Subversion for my liking.

The sidebar tree remembers what's expanded and what's not, we try not to mess with this as we've had complaints on the Mac version when we auto-expand things :)

0 votes
Ben Kimball June 2, 2014

When are we getting the Windows docs already? We are paying customers, and this is abyssmal support.

0 votes
phil side December 26, 2013

I agree that more documentation would be very helpful. I don't mean a huge manual, but something more than currently exists. What is the significance of the different colored blobs (and lines) in the graph?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events