Is there a way to set/remember the default path for patch files?

farmerpaul November 27, 2012

I am often creating patches from commits in one project (in git repo A) and needing to apply them on another forked project (in git repo B). For various reasons I keep these projects quite separate and do not share remotes between the two, even though they have a similar codebase.

Whenever I want to generate a patch from git repo A, SourceTree picks the root directory of git repo A as the default destination directory for that patch. When I want to apply the patch in git repo B, I have to navigate to git repo A's directory and find the patch there, which takes time. Instead, I'd like both projects to remember my preferred location where I store patch files (usually just some temporary directory that I clean out regularly).

I also don't like how, by default, SourceTree chooses a patch file location that would clutter my repository. I would never actually commit a patch file to my repo, so why does it choose my repo's directory as the default directory for storing such a file? At the very least I think my Desktop folder would be a better choice.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2012

There isn't an option for this right now, although the drop-down at the top of the browse window should at least remember your recent selections as any Finder open window does, which is a shortcut.

The default is based on my preference, sorry that's not yours ;) I used to run a fairly large open source project and dealt with a lot of patches, many against specific builds or branches which were checked out in different folders. Putting them in the root of the folder they came from was the best organisational approach for me - my ignore files always ignored all .patch and .diff files anyway. The Desktop would be far too general for me, personally, it would get mixed up really fast.

farmerpaul November 28, 2012

Makes sense.

For me, it's just the extra clicks that are a nuisance. It would be a lot nicer if I didn't even have to open a Finder window at all. As I'm getting so used to using SourceTree now, I'm starting to notice the few spots that are still slowing me down. :)

I should probably start taking advantage of the Custom Actions feature of SourceTree - should be able to write a quick script that does just what I want. Cheers!

Like zava likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events