Is the search on answers.atlassian.com totally broken?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2012

I tried to search for "rest browser" and got 0 results, even if I had a question asking about how to access the REST Browser ?!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2012

Pretty much completely broken, yes. I think they may be fixing this stuff soon. In the meantime just use google with the site operator (site:https://answers.atlassian.com rest browser):

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fanswers.atlassian.com+rest+browser

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2012

No, it works, but I don't find it inituitive at all, and I don't think other people do either.

Atlassian are looking at it, and I've scribbled some feedback, but until it's improved, try "site:answers.atlassian.com rest browser" in google. It's annoying that we have to go outside the built-in search, but that's a giveaway that it's not working.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2012

Bascially, wot Jamie said. It might technically work, but it's not working for humans.

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2012

We've really been working on trying to improve search. Obviously, we're not there yet. Here's the status:

We've migrated search engines, from OSQA's native pyparsing to a combo of Haystacksearch + Xapian. Think of it as a change from querying the database to a Lucene-like binary data structure. That has improved performance significantly (we're no longer getting frequent crashes), but we have a few bugs to work through.

Once it's fixed - and we're close - we'll provide an advanced search UI where you can search by user, date, AND/OR/exact match, answer/question/comment. And, in general, the intuitive type a search string in will work close to what Google does. Once it's implemented it should offer an improvement to Google in that you'll have advanced search functionality, but to be honest Google may still be better in some ways, but this could be said about Confluence and JIRA as well...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events