Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to download files changed from a specific branch Bitbucket ?

Dev Dev March 6, 2013

Hi everybody,

I use a repository on Bitbucket for a project, last week I created a branch for development.
And now I have finish, and I want to deploy it on web server (multiple site with same architecture) but without git setup on each website.

So, I have to push manually my modifications for each website, and I wanted to know if there is a way to download a zip of all files modify for one selected branch and not all the files of the project.

I hope that you'll understand my problem :p

Thanks,

Alex

1 answer

1 vote
twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2013

Perhaps I'm completely missing the question, but you can download a specific branch by hitting the bitbucket project > download> branches> the branch you want > zip

I believe that you can engineer the url by doing:

https://bitbucket.org/user/repositoryname/get/branchname.zip

If you only want the change set, you could make a patch by doing something like

$ git diff tag1 tag2 -- > the-patch

Assuming you knew what version of the repo was on the destination server.

---

You could even simpy check out the version you wish to deploy, then use rsync to push it out to the destination.

If none of those things work, could you explain a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish?

Dev Dev March 11, 2013

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.
When you download a specific branch by hitting the bibucket project, you download all the project, I already tried but I wanted to download only changes between my branch and master branch.

I use eclipse and Egit on Seven for my project, is it possible to make a patch with eclipse ?
I never use command line and I dont know how I can do that.

*tag1, tag2 can you explain me with which part it is linked ?

Thanks,

Alex

Dev Dev March 11, 2013

I found how to make patch with Eclipse and Egit, but I admit you that I don't understand for which purpose is the patch. In fact, I'd like to have the new tree of my changes (zip file), example :

- /mynewfolder/folder1/file.css

- /mynewfolder/folder1/file.js

If I have this, I can deploy it on all my others projects with the same structure.

I hope you'll understand, I'm not very good in English !

Thanks !

twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

I suppose I just don't understand the usecase. Why not simply deploy git per site and have it pull changes? If you have a branch per site, and perhaps a development branch for common files across all sites, you could make changes to the development branch and simply merge your changeset into each website.

You could even automate it so that each website pulls every hour from the repo the change set and deploys it.

Dev Dev March 18, 2013

Thanks for your reply, in fact I use Bitbucket with my project in local and I don't understand how I can use Eclipse / Bitbucket and deploy it on my websites online.

If I understand well, I have to create branch on my project for every site and a another branch for common files, but If I modify the branch for common files can I have this change merge with all others branchs ?

I'd like to automate for each website but I don't know how to do link with bitbucket and If I can use one repo on several websites, and too several websites but with different branchs.

Sorry I'm just a beginner with repository system.

twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2013

If you make a change to common files, then you will have to merge this changeset with every branch that requires that changeset.

As far as automation: The devil is really in the details as to what will work and what will not.

Dev Dev March 19, 2013

Thanks ! I will try your advice.
But do you know how I can deploy my files on web server working with bitbucket in local site ? (because I have not git installed on server, and I'd like to keep bitbucket because it's very easy to create branch, see commits, etc...)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events