Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer Distribution / WAR Distribution

Soporte Interno January 17, 2013

Hello, we recently purchased a license of JIRA. We currently have version 4.1.1 installed (WAR distribution) over CentOS Linux and need to migrate to version 5.2.4.1.

We are thinking of reinstall our Server using the Installer distribution instead of WAR distribution, keeping our LDAP connection and our data.

Thinking about the benefits of using the installer distribution, here`s the question:

Does the installer distribution has an automatic upgrade option? I m talking about some feature that you can autmatically upgrade the version of JIRA.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2013

I would highly recommend using the standalone installer over the WAR installer. The WAR installer is more difficult to configure, upgrade, maintain and support. You could upgrade your current instance with the following docs:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+Manually

Whilst the installer doesn't have an inbuilt upgrader, you can use later versions to upgrade the instance for you instead of installing a new version. With WAR, you would need to download the WAR, rebuild it (along with modifying some of the libs manually as per the install docs) and move it to the webapps directory then restart Tomcat. The installer will do all of this for you.

Soporte Interno January 22, 2013

Thank you all for your responses.

As much as I wish there was an automatic upgrade option, I understand that there is not. Still, I understand the advantages of the installer, so I'll go for that distribution.

Regards.

1 vote
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2013

BIN installer can help you upgrade your instance easier, although you will still need to download the BIN file to run the upgrade. More info, here.

1 vote
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

UNfortunately not, the installed version still needs to be upgraded manually.

You would need to take xml export, install new jira version, re-create old configurations and import the xml.

The documentation we have on upgrade processes are very exhaustive.

Rahul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events