Installer Distribution / WAR Distribution

Hello, we recently purchased a license of JIRA. We currently have version 4.1.1 installed (WAR distribution) over CentOS Linux and need to migrate to version 5.2.4.1.

We are thinking of reinstall our Server using the Installer distribution instead of WAR distribution, keeping our LDAP connection and our data.

Thinking about the benefits of using the installer distribution, here`s the question:

Does the installer distribution has an automatic upgrade option? I m talking about some feature that you can autmatically upgrade the version of JIRA.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
1 vote
David Currie Atlassian Team Jan 19, 2013

I would highly recommend using the standalone installer over the WAR installer. The WAR installer is more difficult to configure, upgrade, maintain and support. You could upgrade your current instance with the following docs:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+Manually

Whilst the installer doesn't have an inbuilt upgrader, you can use later versions to upgrade the instance for you instead of installing a new version. With WAR, you would need to download the WAR, rebuild it (along with modifying some of the libs manually as per the install docs) and move it to the webapps directory then restart Tomcat. The installer will do all of this for you.

Thank you all for your responses.

As much as I wish there was an automatic upgrade option, I understand that there is not. Still, I understand the advantages of the installer, so I'll go for that distribution.

Regards.

UNfortunately not, the installed version still needs to be upgraded manually.

You would need to take xml export, install new jira version, re-create old configurations and import the xml.

The documentation we have on upgrade processes are very exhaustive.

Rahul

1 vote

BIN installer can help you upgrade your instance easier, although you will still need to download the BIN file to run the upgrade. More info, here.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Ops

Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #1: Announcing our next feature and a new integration

Thanks for signing up for Jira Ops! I’m Matt Ryall, leader for the Jira Ops product team at Atlassian. Since this is a brand new product, we’ll be delivering improvements quickly and sharing updates...

183 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you