Import an existing GIT repository

Is there a specific procedure within SourceTree for importing an existing GIT repo? I've done this with SVN before in the past, but we're trying to essentially add an existing repo to a new remote to sync history to the new remote server.

Totally feel like I'm having a dumn moment right now. Thanks for your replies.

2 answers

If the remote server is empty you just need to do a git command like

git remote add origin gitrepourl

Then

git push origin master

In SourceTree's Repository menu there is an 'Add Remote' option which I imagine is similar to the commands above

Click the 'Settings' button on the far right of the repository window toolbar, then in the Remotes section click 'Add' and provide the details (either manually, or use the 'Globe' button to pull a URL from your hosted repositories on Bitbucket etc if you've set those accounts up). You can then select this remote to push to.

Once you've synchronised, if you want to make this the default in future, you can remove the other remote and change the name of the new one to 'origin'.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 14 hours ago in United States

Topic Tuesday: What's your favorite topic?

Good morning All, Our goal is to get you into the habit of while enjoying your favorite morning drink you are checking the NOVA "space" for topics and comments. Your input is really needed and...

29 views 4 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you