I can't nest versions as detailed in the documentation

RobWilson December 11, 2011

Hi,

I have signed up for a Jira + Grasshopper trial (on demand), one of the things I want to do is to work in a Scrum way. The first thing I'd like to do is create a few 'versions' and nest them, (i.e. version 1 with sub-sprints). However, I do not see the 'configure' link from under the agile 'tools' menu as detailed in the documentation http://quickstart.atlassian.com/ondemand/jira/get-started/agile-planning/set-up (under the heading 'Setup the planning board').

If I go directly to the versions screen (via projects, <click project>, versions), then I can add / re-order versions but can't nest them).

The project has been enabled for Scrum support.

Regards,

Rob.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2011

Have you read http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Setting+Up+a+Version+Hierarchy ? Versions tab in Project Configuration screen allow you to manage just a flat structure. From GreenHopper Planning Board you can manage the hierarchy by clicking on Parent field in Version box and setting it to your parent version.

RobWilson December 12, 2011

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, whilst in the Greenhopper planning mode (version view), I can see my three versions listed, all have Parent: None, but when I move my mouse over I do not get the pencil/modify icon. I am an administrator, so it shouldn't be anything to do with permissions.

Any thoughts what I might be missing?

Thanks,

Rob.

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2011

Please make sure that you have project adminstrator permissions too. Being global JIRA admin does not mean you have this right.

Just check first which permission scheme your project uses, note who (groups, project roles) has the permission to administer project and then make sure to add yourself to appropriate project role or user group.

That should help.

RobWilson December 12, 2011

Hi Wojciech,

Thank you, that now works. It's not immediately obvious that an 'administrator' doesn't have all the permissions required, it is possible that I missed a step somewhere, but I do not recall reading anything related to GreenHopper that made it explitly clear to do that step.

Thanks again!

Rob.

(I'd like to add your comment as the 'correct answer', but unfortunately I can only do it on the original response).

0 votes

I have since found this link http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH044/Setting+Up+a+Version+Hierarchy, but unfortunately I can't see the 'Master' field, so I still can't create the hiearchy :-(

0 votes

(Although I did set the project template as 'scrum', each time I go back to look at the settings they have reverted back to 'default' - this I will raise as a separate question, but I wanted to clarify that the project is using the 'default' template; just in case this affects what I am seeing?).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events