How to do site-to-site with Confluence cluster

Robert Cook February 5, 2013

We currently have all our Confluence nodes on one site in the Atlanta 6 data center. There are also on the same subnet, so that the multicasting necessary for cluster operations will work. In the data center, hosts can not send multicast messages between subnets, as the gateway/routers block this kind of traffic from leaving the subnet on which it originated.

We are being asked to look at what it will take to implement a fail-over site for the wiki in another data center building. The problem with Confluence clustering using multicasting is the immediate road block. Is there another way to configure clustering so that it doesn't need to use multicasting? We have licenses for 3 cluster nodes, and without buying more licenses, I was thinking to put 1 node in another data center building to satisfy the S2S requirement. But I don't want that node to be passive, otherwise I'm basically losing a node out of the cluster.

1 answer

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2013

Hi Robert,

Maybe if you use a VPN solution like OpenVPN (open,free,fast and secure) to connect your hosts between the sites you can solve this problem.

Please take a look into the project website: http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/overview.html

Cheers!

Robert Cook February 13, 2013

Thanks, this is an interesting idea, although there are strict rules about what we can install on data center servers, and I think this is not going to be allowed. Also there's probably going to be a question of Confluence cluster performance when the cluster nodes can only be connected over OpenVPN. But let's say for sake or argument that it would be ok for us to use OpenVPN, I would hate to go through the lengthy process to request and get hardware and then find out that performance is not good. Is anything known about the performance of a Confluence cluster over OpenVPN?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events