Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to diff two folders in two different repo?

Lav Singh May 20, 2014

I have created two repo named as 'bb201repo' and 'bb301repo' Now I have added two folders with files in these two repositories. Now in both repositories, I can see one commit of respective folder. Now I want to see the diff between all files containing in the both folder. No any changes made in files after commiting of folders into BitBucket. Both commit made in Master branch of each repository.

I have installed GitBash and TortoiseHG on my machine. Now how can I see the differences between these code files?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

You technically can't use SCM tools for this. The content that you are trying to differenciate are not even in the same repository. You should be using external diff tools like the diff command in linux.

Lav Singh May 20, 2014

If I will add second folder in first repository, amd after that commit in repository one. Now, How can I diff between these two folders? "I am on Windows Machine."

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

Stop trying to use Git/Hg tools for this. The diff tools provided there are to show you what changed between commits, not to compare different files.

Download WinMerge, and use it to compare the two directories you talked about in your original question. It will allow you to navigate through the tree, will show you which files have differences, and will allow you to view differences between one pair of files at a time.

Like # people like this
Lav Singh May 20, 2014

Thanks Seth. I understood now.

Can you please clarify one thing for me? I have customized a certain PHP script to my liking which is present on Github. Now when they come up with the new version, I want to see what chnages they have made in the new version vis-a-vis my custom version. Is this also not possible on GIT? You recommend Winmerge for such scenario as well?

Thanks for your help!

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2014

If you have forked/cloned your code from the original repository, you could still use SCM tools to differenciate.

0 votes
Rushikesh Dikey October 30, 2020

How to look for answer

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events