How to continue heading numbering across Confluence pages

I am building a technical document that contains multiple chapters and sections/subsections within each chapter. Some content is small enough to place in one page but other content requires it to be placed in a separate page. The pages are then organized via the tree view for that space. I've been using the numberedheadings macro to number the h1 - h4 sections within a page, but am not having success with getting the macro to continue the numbering across the next page for a given chapter (h1).

I am getting results such as 0.1 or 3.1, when I really need it to be 1.4 or 6.3. Is this possible with the numberedheadings macro?

2 answers

1 accepted

This should just work with the numbered headings macro. Included pages get numbered just as they were part of the including page.

In case you have trouble getting it to work, create an issue in the numbered headings issue tracker and we will help you figure it out.

Another option is to consider your online pages as web pages and your exported documents as a different view into that content.

With the Engineering Essentials plugin you can format your pages and your generated documentation according to the best format for each without interference. Use the Scroll office plugin to define a document template entirely in one place and in a familiar format.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

29 views 0 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you