How do I stop Stash from respawning deleted tags?

I have a repository in stash that has many tags I don't like. I can delete a tags with

git push stash :that_tag_I_dont_like

but the tag respawns at a later point that seems indeterminate to me. I suspect Stash is allowing or encouraging this tag respawning. How do I make the tags stay deleted?

I don't know a ton about git repository layout, but I can say post push, 'that_tag_I_dont_like' still appears in the associated .git/info/refs file. I don't want to monkey around with the on disk repository behind Stash's back, but I feel like a `git update-server-info` might be needed here.

We're running stash v2.10.1

2 answers

1 accepted

The answer seems Stash is not to blame.

SourceTree's default push setting (in use by some team members) is to push all tags by default. That was unexpected.

The repository with the stubborn tags did have a fork which was set to synchronize with the origin. This seems a plausible vector for the tag respawn. I have forcibly reset the fork and am waiting to see.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes...

288 views 38 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot