How do I create a master branch?

I cloned a repo into an empty folder.  Usually when I do this a master branch is created automatically by default but for some reason this time it isnt.  When I add files to the cloned folder source tree does not recognize any working copy changes.  How do I resolve this?  If I try and just add a master branch it gives me the error

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false branch master
fatal: Not a valid object name: 'master

4 answers

1 vote

You don't need to create master branch. When you add the new folder and commit the changes, it goes under "master" by default.

Jobin's answer should normally be correct, but it sounds like you already know that and that something weird has happened.  What do you see if you do a "git branch" command at the terminal?

I would probably try just cloning again to see if it works as expected this time.  If not, try creating a new folder, cd'ing into it (at a unix or Git Bash terminal) and doing

git init
git remote set-url origin <remote-repo-url>
git pull

Yes I tried that and I can't commit anything because sourcetree doenst recognize that any files have been added ot the folder.  I think it may have something to do with the fact that there was another user that set this souretree up.  I have logged him out everywhere.

What happens when you navigate to that folder in command line and try "git status"?

I would definitely recommend trying to resolve this issue from the command line first. One thing I've found sometimes when really weird stuff like this is happening is that it turns out the SourceTree is not looking at the directory on the local computer file's structure that I thought it was. Working at the command line makes this more obvious. The results of "git status" and "git branch" commands when in the repo at the command line will be informative.

If this is still a problem, try checking you global .gitignore file. It could be that the file you want to add are ignored. I had a similar issue, and found the problem was that *.txt was added to my global .gitignore file, you can probably find the file in your user directory: ~/.gitignore

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Jason Wong
Published 12 hours ago in Agility Beta

Welcome to agility

Every team in the world is unique, and so   Atlassian believes   that each and every team's best way of working  needs to  be molded to their unique circumstances  – ...

231 views 5 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot