How can i connect to the JDBC resource from inside a Java plugin? (Confluence)

Matt Albone September 24, 2012

I need to connect to the Confluence databases to the extent where i can execute SQL queries and get results.

When attempting to create a JDBC connection in my user search plugin, I get the following error

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for jdbc/renderStatsDS

This is (i believe) because Confluence uses a resource on the server to connect automatically to it's database.

I've found the resource at opt/atlassian/confluence/conf/server.xml

<Resource   name="jdbc/renderStatsDS"
    auth="Container"
    type="javax.sql.DataSource"
    driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
    url="jdbc:mysql://aveley.dhcp.dneg.com/renderstats?autoReconnect=true"
    username="safety"
    password="safety"
    maxActive="25"
    maxIdle="5"
    maxWait="10000"
/>

Does anyone know how to access this resource?

Alternatively if anyone has any code they could share that has connected to the confluence database and been able to execute SQL via some other method, that would obviously be very helpful to me too.

Cheers, Matt

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 24, 2012

Matt, check my answer to How to access external database through Confluence Plugin earlier today :)

It's almost an identical question. Also, don't forget to add your driver jar to <CATALINA_HOME>\common\lib

Matt Albone September 24, 2012

My colleague had actually jsut stood up from his seat to come and tell me he'd found out how to do this as I was looking at your response haha.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I'm surprised i didn't find that toher post from this morning when i was searching here, maybe it hadn't been cached yet or something.

Thanks again!

Chris Kent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2014

Hi David

Is it possible to create a datasource from the Confluence database (configured in confluence.cfg.xml). I know it can be done by adding another entry in server.xml (duplicate) but if I want to ship my plugin to users, they will need to do this manually and I don't want them too.

Cheers

1 vote
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2012

Hi, you need to use JNDI to access this resource.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events