Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEAD branch is behind master in SourceTree

sloppysteven October 15, 2012

Somewhat new to source control and Sourcetree.I checked out a previous commit and it created a HEAD branch (that is not acting like a branch at all).

I want to go back to only having one branch (master). Please help!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
sloppysteven October 15, 2012

so what I found is that I needed to create a branch from my "HEAD" branch (which isn't really a branch at all) using the new branch command. At that point head is gone! yay! Then I was able to merge that branch with master and delete the unwanted branch I had created from HEAD.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

You could also have checked out an existing branch, then used right-click on the latest commit and selected Reset <branch> to this commit to move the branch pointer to where you want it to be.

When HEAD is displayed, it means that you're on a detached HEAD, which means you have no branch checked out and any commits won't move any branches when they're made. If you checkout a detached HEAD in SourceTree, it will warn you fairly obviously, so maybe this was done on the command line beforehand and you saw the after effects in SourceTree.

Like Tarsha de Souza likes this
1 vote
Neil R August 21, 2013

@edwon 's advice worked for me

@steve did not; when I cheked out an existing branch, I lost of my my changes on a detached HEAD (luckily did a backup beforewards).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events