Getting Fisheye to run at startup - Linux RHEL

lkampsnider June 30, 2013

I'm fairly new to JIRA, as well as Linux, so naturally I'm having a heck of a time getting Fisheye to start up automatically after the server is rebooted. I'd like Fisheye to autostart so I can avoid having to run the "start.sh" script manually each time.

I initially submitted a ticket with Atlassian support, but they recommended I come here since they don't have extensive documentation on my particular issue.

Right now I'm running Fisheye 2.10 and Redhat 5. I did find a startup script at the following link: http://docs.servicerocket.com/display/ATLASSIAN/How+to+set+up+Fisheye+to+start+at+system+boot

but this is not working. After some testing I realized that the process the script calls, fisheyectl.sh, only runs successfully if I'm logged in as root. This tells me that the user fisheye, which is what the autostart script runs as, does not have permissions to run fisheyectl.sh. I've tried giving fisheye ownership permissions to the script and the entire Atlassian home folder (where .sh scripts are), but I still cannot even run fisheyectl.sh manually unless I'm the root.

So right now the core issue is that I am unable to run fisheyectl.sh, which starts up Fisheye, unless I'm logged in as root, which causes the autostart script to not work since that runs as the "fisheye" user.

I'm looking for any suggestions at this point. You wouldn't think getting the program to autostart would be so difficult, but then again it's Linux.

Thank you,

Logan

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

Hi there,

I think that the script found on this link below can help you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHKB/Starting+FishEye+automatically+without+logging+on+the+server

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

lkampsnider July 4, 2013

I'll give this script a try Celso and let you know how it works. This will be the 3rd script that Atlassian as suggested, but this one doesn't seem to run under the context of the "fisheye" user, so maybe it'll help.

0 votes
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2013

Hi there,

You stated this:

It will be helpful if you can give more detail on what you mean when you say "I still cannot even run fisheyectl.sh manually unless I'm root". What happens exactly?

This can happen if FishEye/Crucible has been started as root or with sudo at least once.

Please do a recursive chown to the user that needs to run FishEye and try the script again.

Regards,

Celso Yoshioka

0 votes
Conor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2013

I would su to the fisheye user and then attempt to run the fisheyectl.sh script and see what happens. If you use sh -x fisheyectl.sh you can see the commands that get run in the shell script and it may help you narrow down what permissions the fisheye user is missing.

It will be helpful if you can give more detail on what you mean when you say "I still cannot even run fisheyectl.sh manually unless I'm root". What happens exactly?

lkampsnider July 4, 2013

Hi Conor, thank you for your reply.

I've attempted to run the fisheyectl.sh script doing a "su - fisheye -p "/path-to-fisheye/bin/fisheyectl.sh" start", but the script does not run. As mentioned, it only runs when I run the script as root.

I've looked through the scripts and added the fisheye user as the owner of all the files that I think are part of the script process. These files include "start.sh", "fisheyectl.sh", and "fisheyeboot.jar". I must be missing something....

As you suggested, I tried to do a su (sh?) -x fisheyect.sh, but "-x" was not a valid operator.

You also posed another question:

My answer to this is if I try to run fisheyectl.sh as a non-root user, it does the same thing as running the script as root, which is that it returns to a new line and by all intents and purposes it appears like the script ran fine.

Hmm, so frustrating. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

Logan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events