Discard selected files

Simon Strandgaard March 5, 2014

I want to undo my latest changes, but I also want to keep some of the files around.

I did a cocoapods update that added lots of new files to my repository and removed lots of files as well and modified even more files.

I would like to select all the changes and just tap `Reset...` to discard the changes.

However the `Reset...` menu action is disabled for new files that aren't yet tracked.

I solved my problem like this:

1. Copy the `Podfile` to my Desktop folder.

2. Do a `git --reset hard` to discard all the unwanted changes.

3. Copy the `Podfile` from my Desktop folder back into the repository.

This have happened to me several times, so it would be nice if it was easier to discard selected changes.

Perhaps make `Reset...` able to discard new files?

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2014

This is a dangerous thing to add. Because these files are untracked, there is no way to recover them if you delete something accidentally.

For your situation, I would recommend committing the files you want to keep, then doing a git --reset hard to trash the rest.

You may also consider configuring git to ignore files with those extensions, if that works for you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events