Default space permissions for the creating user

Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2012

When a person creates a space in Confluence (in our OnDemand site), the default permissions set on the space is:

• The permissions set on /wiki/admin/defaultspacepermission/viewdefaultspacepermissions.action , and
  • The user creating the space gets full access.

How do I prevent the indivisual user from getting full access to the space? (He will still have access through group membership, and that is ok)

What I really want is that no individual users get access to spaces, but instead that groups have access to spaces. That way, if a user no longer should be a Confluence administrator, then all I have to do is remove him from a group, instead of trying to check permissions for all spaces (which is about to become a really large amount of spaces).

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

As Bruno said, this is not possible to accomplish today. I consider it to be a bug in Confluence.

0 votes
Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2012

Thanks for your answer.

Oh, the problem isn't to make sure that admin has full rights. That is set via the default space permissions.

The problem is that: What if the user that created the space is removed from the admin group? How do we find all spaces that the user created so that we can remove his individual permissions?

The point is that using permissions based on users are bad, and permissions based on groups are good. That way it's possible to just move a users in and out of groups to make sure they can do what they should be able to do.

And how do I find all spaces created in the last month or so, just so I can review the permissions set? Or do I have to go over ALL spaces every X time just to verify correct permissions?

0 votes
Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2012

Hi Nicklas,

I'm afraid this is not possible to achieve. Whenever an user create a space in Confluence, the expected behaviour is that the user will be granted with full access to that space (since he is the one who created it). The only way I can see to 'prevent' this is to ask for the users to grant full access to the 'admin' user of the environment whenever they create a space. Then, you will be able to manage the permissions of the space and retrieve the full access of the user who created it. Thus, the user will be able to access the space just by being in some group that has permission to view the space (or any other permissions you have granted to that group inside this space).

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Bruno Rosa

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events