Creating online help / online users guide

What kind of artefacts (plugins, templates, best practices) is there for creating online help / online users guide with confluence ?

2 answers

Hi @Michel777

First - congrats on this bold (and not so bold - logical and smart) step.

Here's a few more..

* Buy this Book from Amazon - Here's the "cliffnotes" on Atlassian blogs. But buy the book - worth every penny for your purposes, and thousands more.

* Watch this Webinar - Still relevant on process, strategy, approaches.

* Review the plugins by K15t - - one of two likely will become critical to your new Confluence Product Doc process.

* Become a fan of this blog by @sarahmaddox -

* Consider maybe a theme plugin - here's two great ones: Zen Foundation and Refined Wiki

* Convince of single purpose license, maybe - though not mandatory, having a Confluence system dedicated to your product doc allows you alot more control over your process, plugin conflicts, or even collaboration conflicts.

* Product Doc Translation needs, in Confluence - For the moment, follow @appfusions on twitter (or email"> - since we have a great plugin for this coming VERY SOON - which will save Enterprise corps who have translations with docs many many $1000s..

(will update with link when avail - ETA mid-May latest - accepting Beta customers now)

Never look back.

Confluence for product documentation is the way of the future - but actually its here NOW! :)

Have fun!

Hi Michel,

i would try for the answers regarding "technical documentation". Common basis is to provide a hierarchy of pages to allow treelike search inside the pages.

Check out the confluence documentation and the blog posts from Sarah Maddox ( and others, linked from there.

Bottom line : I think it is a question of style : Do you provide a given structure via a tree-style navigation or do you link and tag your articles, but keep the hiearchy low. Since people are used to browsing books, I would suggest

• starting out with the hiearchy,
  • tag the important "entry-pages" to topics and
  • provide additional theme-related navigationmaps or overview-pages and round it of with
  • a FAQ page, answering the "worst" questions and linking to topics for further reading.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes...

285 views 38 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot