Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Confluence to JIRA for User Management (Without Using Crowd)

HealthTrust System Engineering September 7, 2012

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+Crowd+or+JIRA+for+User+Management

I have follow the above Atlassian documentation on how to configure Confluence to use JIRA for user management. However, when I test the http connection from my Confluence 4.2.5 server to my JIRA 4.3.2 server, I receive the following error.

Connection test failed. Response from the server: The following URL does not specify a valid Crowd User Management REST service

Now, this is confusing to me because in the aforementioned Atlassian documentation, I specifically chose Atlassian JIRA, not Atlassian CROWD. Can I or can I not connect Confluence to JIRA for user management without having Atlassian CROWD set up with JIRA? JIRA currently uses Internal User Directory with LDAP Authentication, and I would like those users to be able to log into Confluence as well.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Olivier Carbone October 14, 2012

Thanks for the answer Chris Milam.
It's running with the JIRA url!

In fact, it's simple to do... However the GUI is very confusing us. Mention of CROWD is not clear, and the sample below the field is: http://www.example.com:8080/crowd/ :)

Regards,

Olivier

1 vote
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2012

What urls are you using? Are you using any reverse proxies, or anything that can meddle with the connection?

0 votes
HealthTrust System Engineering October 9, 2012

The root cause was in fact a network related issue. The error message was confusing, because the On Premise Atlassian products actually use a local version of Crowd Management, even if you do not have a Crowd subscription.

Olivier Carbone October 14, 2012

Thanks to have explain that, the webform is more clear now.

However, how to know the "url of the CROWD server" when it's local version. In my case, know the IP of JIRA, but I don't know the IP of the local CROWD services.

Should have add /crowd after my JIRA url?

How can I check if the url typed is the good one?

Regards,
Olivier

HealthTrust System Engineering October 14, 2012

There is no URL for the local implementation of Crowd user management, as I understand it. On Premise Atlassian products simply use a local version of Crowd for local user management, and that functionality is built into the product.

There is only one IP address, that of your JIRA server. If you are having trouble connecting, and receiving the same error I received, it's more than likely due to your network not allowing traffic to and from these two servers over the appropriate ports. You should not ammend /crowd after your JIRA url.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events