Confluence meeting minutes linked to jira actions

markh_1spatial June 13, 2012

Hi,

I'm investigating replacing our home grown meeting minutes & action reporting system with a combination of jira and confluence.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is to be able to author minutes in confluence and press a button to add a new action from the minutes. This would create a new jira issue which has a remote link to the confluence page and update the confluence page to include details of the issue.

We're using onDemand, so can't have external plugins

I've tried variants of two options so far, but neither are idea

1) Use confluence's Insert->Jira issue dialogue. This only lets you enter a subset of the issue's metadata, so doesn't work if we want mandatory due dates. The Confluence view is also quite limited - I'd really like my minutes to show who's assigned to each action.

2) Have a custom URL field in the jira issue pointing to the meeting minutes and use the jira issues macro in confluence to search for issues with that field set. This is tricky to setup - users would have to manually copy and paste URLs and I've not been able to get it to work with URLs containing spaces since the url field and issue list macros encode them differently.

Does anyone have any better ways of managing meeting minutes with integrated lists of actions?

1 answer

1 vote
markh_1spatial July 16, 2012

We've decided to 'solve' this using the following method:

• Our meeting minutes template includes a set of links to the jira create issue page, with pre-populated project, issue type and labels in some cases
  • Users click on the link (opens new tab), and create a jira issue for the action.
  • The user then has to manually add the link using the insert jira issue dialog. This isn't as difficult as it sounds, since we have a html comment in the template reminding them of the keyboard shortcut and the recently viewed issues section shows the new actions at the top of the list

The bi-directional link then exists between the minutes and actions. The minutes don't show a lot of detail about actions, so we often augment this with text (e.g. the assignee). We're also using labels for different types of action or groups that own actions, and the jira issue list macro on a separate page to list open and closed actions for each group.

It's still early days, but working ok so far.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events