Can't make new user scheme work

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

We have migrated from onDemand to on-premisis. We are trying to use active directory to manage users. But the users from the server don't seem to work right.

I have read the instructions here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions#ManagingProjectPermissions-permission_schemes

So.....

All projects use the "Default Permission Scheme."

The DPS uses the standard project Roles: Administrators, Developers, Users

The Administrator, Developer and User roles each contain the user "georgec" – which is a windows account.

But when I log in as "georgec" I can see no projects. When I display my Project Roles, none are defined.

What am I missing?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

Hi George,

There are a few "usual suspects" for issues like this that you should check -

1. Make sure that the "Browse Projects" permission in the default permission scheme has some groups or roles assigned to it.
  2. Make sure that your user is a member of one of these groups or roles. You can assign a user to a group or role through the user management section of the admin menus.

If you double-check these but still can't see any projects, there might be something harder to debug involved. You should take this issue to the support team then - https://support.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

- Simon

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Just noticed this note on the "Edit Default Members for Project Role" page:

NOTE: When a new project is created, it will be assigned these 'default members' for the 'Users' project role. Note that 'default members' apply only when a project is created. Changing the 'default members' for a project role will not affect role membership for existing projects.

So I read that as saying if I add a new person or group to a role used in the Default Scheme, it won't get used. That is, in fact, what I am seeing.

Seems kind of short sited.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

That message only applies to new projects being created - you can definitely add/remove users from existing schemes assigned to a project.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

I agree that you should be able to do that. But here is what I see:

Default Scheme uses roles, for example "user"

I put a new Active Directory group in the "user" role, but the members don't get access to the project.

What I have to do assign the group to each appropriate permission.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Hmm... there may be an issue with the Active Directory Configuration, or the JIRA configuration. It's probably best to go through our support team to get this fixed - I can't think of much else that would cause it without looking at your log files.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2012

Thanks. I have added the LADP roles where needed for each project. We are good to go. No time to dig into this problem. It is now at the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it stage.

0 votes
David Toussaint [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Users must be added to project roles manually. This is due to the fact, that the projectteam is likely to change for different project. Also you can add default members (users or groups) for project roles.

What You are most likely missing is the mapping of users to project roles. to do this go to project administartion, "peoples" tab and ad dthe user "georgec" to any of the roles.

Hope that helps? Cheers, David

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events