Can't launch external merge tool (WinMerge) on Windows

I've set the external merge tool to be WinMerge, and I've also tried using the Custom option and pointing it to the exe-file, but I'm having trouble launching either, and I can't find any information on what the custom option needs to work.

When trying to launch external merge tool, a window pops up and disappears really quickly, and no application starts.

2 answers

1 accepted

You can only use WinMerge as an external diff tool, not as an external merge tool (that's why it's not in the list of merge tools).

Ironically despite its name, WinMerge is not a proper merge tool, it only does 2-way comparisons rather than the 3-way merge that Git uses.

Right! Ended up using Beyond Compare. I don't know how I managed to miss the "Merge tool" part and only see the "External diff tool", figures why I couldn't get any merge going. Thanks!

I guess I need to look into 3-way merge more that Steve Streetling mentions but I have setup WinMerge as an external tool.  Here are the settings needed.  It sets the display so your local file is on the right site.

The setting location: Tools->Options->Diff
  External Diff Tool: Custom
   Diff Command: C:\Program Files (x86)\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe
   Arguments: $LOCAL $REMOTE
  External Merge Tool: Custom 
   Merge Command: C:\Program Files (x86)\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe
   Arguments: /w1 $LOCAL $REMOTE $MERGED

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Asked 2 hours ago in Confluence

What are the resources that you use to learn more about Atlassian Products?

I am gathering information about resources available for Atlassian product knowledge transferring for a presentation in our local Atlassian User Group. I want to group them in four categories From ...

23 views 1 3
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you