Best remote agent architecture for integrating Java and .Net application in CI

Chintan Patel November 3, 2014

As per my requirement, I need to integrate Bitbucket repository with Bamboo CI server hosted on linux machine as per following:

1. .Net application on Bitbucket
  2. Java test application on BitBucket.
  3. When there is a commit on .Net application repository, Bamboo should trigger MSBuild to build the repository on AWS windows server.
  4. After that, Bamboo should trigger Maven test of Java repository to test the .Net application.

As I have mentioned, Bamboo server is hosted on linux machine, so I can only trigger Java Maven build from local agent as MSBuild.exe is not available on linux machine. So as per my thinking I need to create Remote agent on another Windows machine [hosted on AWS] to trigger the MSBuild.

Please confirm this approach and provide best practice suggestion for this requirement.

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2014

Your approach is right. You can just have the build run on remote Windows server. Everything else is business as usual. Just you the right tasks in the right order wink

Shyam Visamsetty November 3, 2014

Hi Jobin, Thanks for the answer. I work with Chintan on this. Would it also be a good idea to send commands to remote windows machine from the existing linux server and avoid creation of a remote agent? Would that be helpful?

Shyam Visamsetty November 3, 2014

We were thinking of sending the remote commands using freeSSHD and powershell. Is that a good idea too?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2014

I wouldn't do that unless you don't want spend money on a remote agent. Never tried it and so I am not sure how robust that solution would be.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events