Bamboo Fail a Build with Specific Text

I want to fail a build when certain text shows up in the log. Is there any way to do this in Bamboo?

4 answers

1 accepted

The logs just pipe stdout and stderr. If you want to stop and fail the build as soon as the text shows up, then you would need to develop a log checking thread/process to whatever you are running. In other words, it's not a Bamboo thing.

If you can wait until the job is finished, then you can create another job in a subsequent stage that gets the log contents via an http "GET". You can use a program like curl or write up something using the scripting language of your choice. The URL is consistent and looks something like: "http://bamboo_url/download/PROJ-PLAN-JOB/build_logs/PROG-PLAN-JOB-BUILDNUM.log". The build number and build result keys are Bamboo variables. Once you have the log text, it's a simple matter of grepping for the line and then exiting with either a 0 exit code (success) or non-zero exit code (failure).

Wow, it seems crazy to me that Bamboo doesn't have a feature like this. It's an extremely useful feature of TeamCity.

@chris Agreed. In TeamCity this was super easy, unfortunate to discover this limitation...

+1 this even implemented in Jenkins

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: Magic Eyes

...staring into the background. Once the image pops out in 3D, you can look around the picture and enjoy. If you will see if you are a true illusion master! :) You did it? :) Wow! Awesome! As a bonus...

461 views 83 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you