Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo 4.3 - Having automated plan branches with different automatic merging strategies

Per Samuelsson December 11, 2012

OK, since automatic seems to be one of the cornerstones of CI, I have a question about a rather specific thing that would ease my life when trying to arhitect our future third-generation build system.

It's about plan branches and the automatic aspect of creating them, in combination with the automated merging strategy.

What I want to achive is basically a setup where some kind of variable/switch dictates the automatic merging strategy of an auto-created plan branch. From the end user (i.e. development team) perspective, I'd like to architect the build server in such a way that it allows developers to choose from a set of different branch alternatives and where each such alternative means the merge from that branch into the mainline happens in a particular way.

As a concrete example, I might want to give our team the ability to choose to work on an isolated feature branch (as defined in the GitFlow model) and have the building/merging influensed by that, or a more traditional CI building/merging plan, if the need is that.

Exactly how to achive this from the user/developer viewpoint is not so important, only that it's automated by the build server and predictable. One example might be to rule it using naming convention of branches (for example, having the "feature-.* pattern create one sort, "fullCI-.* create another and "hotfix-.*" a third - you get the picture).

My question of course is - is this possible to achive, and if so, what would it take? I really can't see it's doable right out-of-the-box(*), but I understand there is API's and/or plugins for certain needs, so maybe there is some way forward there?

Any ideas or hints would be highly appreciated.

(*) - I figure it might be doable by setting up different plans, one per plan branch merging strategy, and only embrace branches matching a regular expression. But that seems rather messy, and I really don't want that kind of setup of there are any alternatives.

Best regards,

1 answer

0 votes
James Dumay
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2013

Hi Per,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. You are right, there isn't a way todo this out of the box right now and I'm uncertain if its possible todo this as a plugin either.

Sorry that I don't have a good answer for this but ill certainly keep you usecase in mind when we work on improvements to branches again.

Thanks
James

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events