$BAMBOO_HOME over network shared

Fauzi Gomez July 24, 2014

Have anyone set $BAMBOO_HOME or at least the bamboo-home directory over a network storage, like NFS?

Our Idea is to set BAMBOO in a HA environment but instead of syncing the Bamboo home directory we would like to have it mounted using a SAN or NAS, I know there is not official information about BAMBOO on HA, but at least someone have tried the bamboo-home over network ?

Thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2014

Major part of bamboo-home/xml-data is a build directory. I think when you decide to move BAMBOO_HOME to NFS you should keep this directory separately:

• this can be configured via $BAMBOO_HOME/bamboo.cfg.xml (property buildWorkingDir)
  • this directory holds working areas for each of your plans and thus can be safely reverted from backup or even completely cleaned before Bamboo restart - unless you're using some non-standard build configuration your source files will be simply checked out from repository from scratch
  • if you decide to hold buildWorkingDir as a local filesystem directory it will have to has the same path on all machines in your HA cluster because configuration is shared
  • buildWorkingDir is also the place where most of the IO activity happens: repository checkouts building your plans etc. leaving it on the local filesystem will give you high performance and keeping everything else on NFS will give you possibility to quickly switch server that will run the service

Fauzi Gomez July 27, 2014

Hi Krystian

Thanks, this is very usefull

Regards

2 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2014

If you want to use NFS for this, make sure you use NFS4.

1 vote
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2014

I believe if that share will have 10000+ files it will work really slowly. It should be ok with less files. At least this was the case with other systems I tried, but I never tried Bamboo this way.

Hi Andris

Thanks, that's really a helpful info, anything that help us make a desition.

Could you please share which system and network storage did you use?

Regards

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2014

I tried email server and SVN server. Network server that I used was a simple custom Linux box (NFS share) with 1Gbps network interface. If you have better hardware it may work better for you.

0 votes
Fauzi Gomez July 25, 2014

thanks all for the reply

We are actually using bamboo for our builds, and here is some information that might be relevant

[root@bamboo ]# find ./bamboo-home/artifacts/ -type f |wc -l
[root@bamboo ]# find ./bamboo-home/xml-data/ -type f |wc -l

[root@bamboo ]# du -hs ./bamboo-home/*
100G    ./bamboo-home/artifacts
4.0K    ./bamboo-home/attachments
4.0K    ./bamboo-home/backups
4.0K    ./bamboo-home/bamboo.cfg.xml
4.0K    ./bamboo-home/bamboo-mail.cfg.xml
44M     ./bamboo-home/bundled-plugins
357M    ./bamboo-home/caches
18M     ./bamboo-home/index
7.6M    ./bamboo-home/jms-store
112M    ./bamboo-home/logs
26M     ./bamboo-home/plugins
22M     ./bamboo-home/temp
4.0K    ./bamboo-home/templates
208G    ./bamboo-home/xml-data

and of course it will grow in time, it is a considerable amount of files.

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2014

I wouldn't... The git operations will hurt a lot... Note that there are host specific info in the files as well.

I wrote up a blog post once for Nick Muldoon ( http://www.nicholasmuldoon.com/2013/07/bamboo-in-a-high-availability-configuration/) explaining how we had it configured at a previous work place.

Fauzi Gomez July 25, 2014

Daniel

I have already read that article, it is very well documented, and of course having bamboo-home localy on each instance looks like a good solution, drbd shoud do the work of replicating.

I was wondering if someone have done this before so they share their experience.

Fauzi Gomez September 19, 2014

Daniel, for your multiple instances of Bamboo, did you needed a new license for each? and a different <property name="serverId">XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX</property>

Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2014

Each active/passive cluster required a new license. (the passive one obviously shared the same one as the active instance). Does that answer your question?

Fauzi Gomez September 19, 2014

kind of, Thanks

0 votes

Hi Andris

Thanks, that's really a helpful info, anything that help us make a desition.

Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events