Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon ec2 - confluence - upm/gliffy plugin

Slaven Imhof March 31, 2013

Hello

I have installed Confluence 5.1 standalone on an Amazon ec2 ubuntu image. Confluence works perfectly, but when I try to install upm or gliffy plugin via marketplace or manually, I receive an "unexpected error" message. I use mysql and first I increased the 'max allowed packet size' to 32M, and then to the maximum, but I still receive the error. I don't know if there is something I have to consider with Amazon ec2, but I hope this is an known error for you and you have experience with confluence on Amazon ec2. I would appreciate very much if you can help me as I would start using confluence as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Slaven Imhof

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KatyK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

Hi Slavin,

If need be, you can update your current ticket with us here: http://support.gliffy.com/tickets/42957?

Katy

Slaven Imhof April 5, 2013

Problem solved by installing postgresql instead of mysql (see ticket with link above). Everything works perfectly now! Thank you very much!

0 votes
Keith Rockhold
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2013

Hi Slaven,

Would you please check for the size of the currently set max_allowed_packet by querying:

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'max_allowed_packet'

What value does it show?

Thank you,
Keith Rockhold
Developer
keith@gliffy.com

Gliffy Inc.
PO Box 7775 #35255
San Francisco, CA, 94120-7775

877-2-Gliffy (877-245-4339)

Slaven Imhof April 1, 2013

Hi Keith

The 'max_allowed_packet' shown is 1048576. As mentioned, I set the value to
the maximum. So what I see now is a value 'slave_max_allowed_packet' which
is 1073741824. Maybe this is an Amazon rds specialty. I don't know how to
change the 'max_allowed_packet'. Is this known to you?

Thank you,
Slaven

Keith Rockhold
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

Hi Slaven,

Please check that you do not have more than one my.cnf file. I have seen situations before where it was set in one place, such as /etc/mysql and another file at /etc . If you like, please open a ticket with us at Gliffy, at support.gliffy.com, and we can work through the problem with you a bit quicker.

It would be remiss of me to mention, you can always install postgresql, which is the recommended database server by Atlassaian, and is not subject to this limitation.

Keith

Keith Rockhold
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

sorry, just noticed you did open a ticket with us.

0 votes
LuizA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2013

Hello Slaven Imhof,

To have a better idea about the problem that can be happening could you please check your 'atlassian-confluence.log' (<confluence-home-directory>/logs folder) and then paste here the error stack-trace that appears in the log? This will give us a better idea about what can be the problem.

Just as a side note, would be recommendable also to take a look with the support from Amazon ec2, because as this is not supported platform maybe we can have some problem from the Amazon side here.

Kind Regards,

LJ.

Slaven Imhof March 31, 2013

Hi Luiz

Thank you, I will look at Amazon ec2 support as well. I increased the 'max allowed packet', but I still get the mysql error. Here are some lines form the log file, as the number of characters is limited. Please tell me if you need more.

2013-04-01 17:04:10,938 WARN [pool-4-thread-2] [rest.resources.install.InstallTask] call Unexpected error in install task
-- referer: http://ec2-54-228-195-193.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:8090/plugins/servlet/upm/marketplace | url: /rest/plugins/1.0/available/featured | userName: admin
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: There was a problem evicting or flushing a PluginData object

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: There was a problem evicting or flushing a PluginData object

Caused by: net.sf.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: could not insert: [com.atlassian.confluence.plugin.persistence.PluginData#1245185]

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.PacketTooBigException: Packet for query is too large (27296117 > 1048576). You can change this value on the server by setting the max_allowed_packet' variable.

Sharan Hiremath May 1, 2013

Restart the EC2 instance, it will work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events