Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After changing my password, I cannot push to my repo without being required to solve a CAPTCHA

Matthew Moisen October 3, 2016

Hi Bitbucket team,

I had to change my password at work as per the password policy. Since that time, virtually every time I try to push to a repo hosted on my company's Bitbucket server, I receive this error:

Your Bitbucket account has been locked. To unlock it and log in again you must
solve a CAPTCHA. This is typically caused by too many attempts to login with an
incorrect password. The account lock prevents your SCM client from accessing
Bitbucket and its mirrors until it is solved, even if you enter your password
correctly.

If you are currently logged in to Bitbucket via a browser you may need to
logout and then log back in in order to solve the CAPTCHA.

I then have to log into Bitbucket and solve the CAPTCHA. I can push again within a minute on the same repo and not have to enter the CAPTCHA. If I wait longer than a minute, or if I immediately switch to a different repo and push, I will have to solve the CAPTCHA again.

I can however go to the Bitbucket web page, and repeatedly log out and log in without having to solve any CAPTCHA. Its always happens after attempting to push to a repo.

I've already made sure to change my git's password with

git config --global credential.helper wincred
And I can confirm that it is using the correct password with
git credential fill
protocol=https
host=gitscm.mycompany.com

So I don't understand what could be causing this.

I have seen that other people have complained about this issue.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/274173

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/259633

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Best regards,

Matthew

5 answers

1 vote
Sai Reddy Nandipati May 20, 2019

Hay we have same problem appearing for our users here.. any idea how to fix this.

1 vote
Emilien Domenge April 30, 2019

I have same problem, every push/pull I make, I have to valid the captcha. That sucks ! Looks like it appears after changing my previous password

1 vote
Nicolas Spessot March 11, 2019

having same problem, where you able to solve this?

1 vote
Michael Heemskerk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2016

Hi Matthew,

Could it be that you have either a script or a build job that is using your old credentials? One thing you could do is have a look (or ask your admin to have a look) at Bitbucket's audit logs to see which IP is triggering the authentication failures for your user. You can find them in BITBUCKET_HOME/log/audit/.

An authentication failure would be logged as follows:

0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 | AuthenticationFailureEvent | admin | 1474293778897 | admin | {"authentication-method":"basic","error":"Invalid username or password."} | @10IA6L8x962x13x0 | -
0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 | AuthenticationFailureEvent | admin | 1474293800985 | admin | {"authentication-method":"basic","error":"Invalid username or password."} | @10IA6L8x963x18x0 | -
0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 | AuthenticationFailureEvent | admin | 1474293802155 | admin | {"authentication-method":"basic","error":"Invalid username or password."} | @10IA6L8x963x22x0 | -
0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 | AuthenticationFailureEvent | admin | 1474293819180 | admin | {"authentication-method":"basic","error":"Invalid username or password."} | @10IA6L8x963x26x0 | -

This is from testing from localhost (hence 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1) with the user 'admin'.

Matthew Moisen October 4, 2016

Hi Michael.

I created two test git repos today, that only I have access to and which I haven't applied and build jobs to, and I still get this message. I believe it must either have something to do with my git configuration that I cannot figure out, or something on bitbucket. I have sent the admins an email with your instructions.

Would you have any guesses on the root cause if we can safely rule out scripts/build jobs and etc. pushing or pulling to these test repos?

Thanks and best regards,

Matthew Moisen

0 votes
Zane Chung November 22, 2016

This just happened to me today, did you manage to find a solution?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events