how to get rid https://urldefense.com/jerror in front of a link

Charli Kirby January 13, 2022

Does anyone know how to get rid of this "https://urldefense.com/jerror" in front of a link?

My manager and I both have tried to edit it out of the link, but it keeps coming back.

3 answers

1 vote
WW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2022

URL Defense is:

Proofpoint’s industry leading email analysis solution, to provide small to mid-sized enterprises with URL Defense, the only service that effectively detects, catches and analyzes malicious URLs targeting this market.

So, I'm guessing the URLs of which you speak are in email notifications you're getting from Confluence Cloud.

URL Defense generally runs on external emails.  Since you're using Cloud, and I'm also guessing that you don't work for Atlassian, an email from Confluence Cloud would be considered an external-to-your-company email.

The only way to remove the urldefense part from the email is to not run URL Defense, which you probably don't want to do.  I'll bet another department set it up to run with your email. 

You really don't need to change the URL if what I've described is indeed where that URL is coming from.  When you open the URL in a browser, the excess will go away (if the URL is not thought to be malicious).

Basically, it's got nothing to do with Atlassian.  It's part of your email.

Charli Kirby January 21, 2022

Hi,

The email assumption is not correct.  It is not coming in or from an email.  We use Atlassian as a documentation resource.  Sometimes we put links to other pages.  Some can be external and some internal.  The particular link is to an external sight.

Correct, I don't work for Atlassian.

You say to 'not run URL Defense', but since we are using the Cloud version, I don't believe we have control over that.  If I am wrong, please let me know how we can manage this on our end.

Thank you!

WW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2022

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that you copy a normal URL from, for example, your browser or NotePad, and when you paste that URL into a Confluence Cloud page, the urldefense prefix is added automatically after the paste happens.  Is that right?

If so, maybe it's the Cloud hoster who is running it (like AWS)?  I'm not sure since I don't have cloud, but we do have URL Defense in email.  I would think this would be a bigger issue if it were coming from Atlassian's applications, but who knows?

I said:

The only way to remove the urldefense part from the email is to not run URL Defense, which you probably don't want to do.

I don't recommend turning off URL Defense since it's doing an important job, and it runs at a very high level, so I doubt you'd have access to turn it off.  It's there to protect more than just you.

For accessibility purposes, unless you plan on printing out your pages often or you really need to display the URL for some reason, you should never display just a URL.  You should always link a word or words to a URL.  That way, too, it really doesn't matter what the URL looks like.

Unless you're putting a URL directly on a page, I don't see why it would be important to remove the urldefense prefix.  If that's not what you're doing, then I'd need more clarification as to why you want to remove the prefix.

I did find this issue CONFCLOUD-71500, but it's regarding email, which you say is not your problem. 

From what I can glean, it sounds like you can't turn off URL Defense, and you shouldn't want to.  It's there to protect.

So your options are to link to words or display a long ugly URL.

Regardless of where it's happening, I don't think there's much you can do to change it if it's happening after you paste.

0 votes

Hi all,

Maybe some clarification is in order.  I don't want to get rid of URL defense in general.  It is a good thing when needed.  I need to be able to edit the link in the page and not have URL Defense get added back in.  It won't let me edit the link.

Thanks.  

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Welcome to the Community!

The first thing to do is turn off whatever software it is you have installed that is doing it.  But that could be doing it in several ways.

You haven't told us where you are seeing this happen.  Confluence doesn't do it, you would need to have installed an app to do it.  If it's appearing on every link, then, the most likely culprit is a browser extension.  If it's only on links in page content (or question content as you say you are seeing it there), then what is creating the content and adding the url?  And so on.

Hi,

We use Atlassian as a documentation resource (i.e page content).  Sometimes we put links to other pages.  Some can be external and some internal.  The particular link is to an external sight.  It does not do it for all links and especially, not all external links.

As far as I know we don't have software installed to do this.  How and where would I check for that?  I believe our instance of Atlassian is Cloud.

Thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2022

I don't know where you would need to look beyond apps that could be added to Confluence Cloud - these would be listed in Admin -> Manage Apps, and I would imagine whatever the app is (if there is one), would be pretty clear in its name or description.

To be perfectly clear - Confluence is not doing what you are reporting.  

It might be an app you have added to Confluence, but that is very very unlikely ( a search on the marketplace returns nothing that mentions url), and I'm not even sure it is possible.

The most likely place this is being done is your mail servers - someone has configured them to add it to incoming emails in order to protect your users from malicious ones.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events