Where do I set the "default" confluence permission group?

Maria Hauer July 3, 2017

At my company we are working with JIRA and confluence. In the current setup there is a certain group that users get assigned to if they are granted access to confluence. The thing now is, that I cannot find the place where this special group has been set to be the default confluence user group. Also a couple of questions arise from this topic:

1. Do I have to have such a group per default?

2. Can I adjust the default group per user?

3. Where do I change the default group?

The second question is one that is directly coming from the problem I want to solve. I want to add a user to confluence which is only allowed to view everything and add comments, nothing else (no writing, no deleting). The default user group set for confluence users though, allows those users to add pages, blogs, comments - basically everything. How do I set this one users permissions and groups in a way to only have reading rights? Do I need to adjust the default user group permissions?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Maria Hauer July 3, 2017

So I kept looking for the appropriate settings and I found them! For all having similar issues go to "Site administration/Application access/View Configuration (top right)". There groups can be added to also grant access to confluence. Problem solved.

0 votes
Vinod Reddy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2023

Here are the steps to Change the Default Confluence group with a new group:

• Go to cog > user management  > group
  • Create a group
  • Go to product access (left side menu)
  • Go to the product you want to add this group (e.g. Jira software) and add your newly created group
  • Right-click on the ellipsis menu of your group
  • And click Make this group defaults
  • Remove from default the old one if you want

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events