Unable to access the confluence page.

Jagrati Kanojia April 29, 2021

It says 'You don't have permission to view the page'. The local admin has provided access provision multiple times, still it throws the same error/message. 

2 answers

0 votes
Sagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Hi @Jagrati Kanojia As mentioned by Nic, how admin has provided access the access.

To the space where the page belongs? or on the page it self by adding your user in the view/edit page restriction?

Also, are you able to see the other pages in that space if so then not an space permission issue.

Check the parent of that page which you don't have access to see if there is any page view restriction on that and ask admin to provide access on that parent page as view restrictions are inherited in Confluence.

Third possibility is rare but can be confirmed if that page is moved from any other space where parent of that page has restriction for your user.

Jagrati Kanojia April 30, 2021

I think its 'on the page it self by adding your user in the view/edit page restriction'

I will let the team know about this and request them to check on what you suggested.

Thank you @Sagar  Appreciate it. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

How has "the admin provided access provision multiple times"?

Do your people have "use" access to the space?  Are there any restrictions on the page (the space and system admins can see if there are, even if they are restricted and can't see the page themselves)

Jagrati Kanojia April 30, 2021

they gave me 'read and write' access and saved it (multiple times),  when i reload the page, it still says "

You don't have permission to view this page

This is because it's inheriting restrictions from a parent page. A space admin or the person who shared this page may be able to give you access."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2021

Ah, I see, you are mistaking "restriction" for "permission".  (This is understandable, I do not think the wording on screen is clear about what restrictions do)

A restriction restricts a page.  It does not grant permission to it.  

At the base level, a page's permission comes from the space.  If a person has "use space" permission, they can see all the pages in it.

Confluence, for the purposes of doing page security and structuring spaces, has a page tree though, so pages belong to other pages, to many many depths, you could have hundreds of layers.

So, restrictions for view work across that tree.  If you restrict a page to be viewable only by group A, then all the pages that belong to that page also become restricted, right the way down through the tree.

In your case, you're trying to get access to a page that is beneath one that has been restricted away from you.  

So, you will need your admins to work their way back up the tree, adding you to the view restriction for all the pages above it which you cannot currently view.

("adding you to the restriction" - I wrote that terrible phrase to show you why I do not think the language is clear)

Like Jagrati Kanojia likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events