Anyone know why tasks from deleted pages would still appear in the Task Report? When I try to remove them or at least mark them as completed there is an error (likely because the page it is linking to doesn't exist). However, we can't remove these tasks. Ideas?
in Version 5.4.2, installed version I tested your scenario and the tasks were deleted after page removal. Hmmm. What version do you use? One suggestion to try - REST API <th>
||Queries the complete list of tasks the user logged into Confluence.|
||Deletes a task by its task ID.|
||Adds a new task and creates an ID for the task.|
Take a REST client (browser plugin like Postman) and try to delete them. You need to add request header for
1. Get the tasks using GET http://<domain:port>/<context>/rest/mywork/latest/task
2. Delete task with ID 77: DELETE http://<domain:port>/<context>/rest/mywork/latest/task/77
Maybe this helps,
Thanks for this insight. When I pulled up the task list through the API, the deleted tasks and duplicated tasks did not appear. However, these eroneous tasks still do appear on the Confluence Task Report page. I'm not sure if this is an error with the Dyanamic Task List macro or what the issues is. Any ideas?
if you cannot get the duplicates or "delete" by using the REST API, this sounds like they do not exist anymore in the DB. Can you check this on DB level?
To have a clear understanding:
what do you mean by task report page - this plugin ? If so, here is the ondemand documentation page . Take a note on this issue  - might this relate to your Confluence behaviour?
Within the issue it is written:
This fix will prevent duplicate tasks from being created, but will not remove existing duplicates. That is a separate task tracked by CONF-33903.
If not, please provide information on Confluence version and the plugin you are using.
the issue is solved for soon coming version 5.5.3 - the latest official release of Confluence is 5.5.2 . Maybe this fix will help to solve your problem. Otherwise, raising a ticket might be good at this point.
So, finally I hope you will get some help from the experts soon.
Please mark a comment as answer.
Yes, I'm referring to the Task Report macro. The issue that was sited in the Jira ticket seemed related to our issue in that when pages were moved, that's when the issue occured. However, many of our tasks don't have dates (some do) and we are still getting this issue. Additionally, some tasks were deleted from the pages that were moved yet the tasks still appear.
The Jira ticket you referenced says "resolved" and this is still open for us. I raised a Jira ticket with the details.
Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.Learn more
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG