Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasting colored text copied from browser into editor: newlines get lost

Andre Vergison December 29, 2017

Confluence 6.5.1

From another web site I copied the following colored text (here printed in b/w only)

SELECT name, address, city
  FROM supplier
 WHERE name = 'Smith'
GO

having the following HTML when viewing the page source:

<pre><span style="color: #0000ff">SELECT</span> <span style="color: #0000ff">name</span>, address, city
  <span style="color: #0000ff">FROM</span> supplier
 <span style="color: #0000ff">WHERE</span> <span style="color: #0000ff">name</span> = <span style="color: #808000">&apos;Smith&apos;</span>
GO
</span></pre>

I'm playing with two browsers: Firefox 57.0.2 and IE 11.0.9600.18816 + 11.0.47.

When editing the Confluence page and copying the said text then SOMETIMES I get a correct paste: both colors and newlines. Most of the times though everything is pasted onto a single line (colors okay).

Whenever I have the chance to get a "correct" paste then I can close the editor and edit again, the pasted text still shows okay. However, as soon as I SAVE the text then the newlines are removed. That behavior is browser independent.

If I edit the same page in both editors, whenever I SAVE the page in one of the browsers then Synchrony immediately "adjusts" the text in the other browser by removing the newlines and flattening out the text over a single line.

A not-so-ideal workaround for now is to use OneNote as a copy/paste hub. Copying to OneNote first, then copying the OneNote text and pasting to Confluence seems to hold the newlines when saving the page. The first paste after opening the page for editing is always in b/w. I have to undo and repeat the paste, even multiple times (once or twice in IE, but often up to ten times in FF) to get a good colored paste! God only knows what's happening inside Confluence in the meantime.

Looks as if there is something not so stable in the Confluence editor newline and color processing...

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

May be, for your particular case, you shall consider using a built-in "code" macro?

For code snippets it is a very good option, in my option, and it does the syntax highlighting as well

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events