Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to insert a hard dash (non-breaking dash)?

Eileen Palsson February 18, 2019

Hi, I need to use non-breaking dashes in our product names, since most of them start with R-... and we don't want that hanging at the end of the the line. 

I found how to insert a non-breaking space, but not how to insert a non-breaking dash. Can you help?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 vote
Andreas Berheim Brudin November 14, 2019

You could always insert the unicode character non-breaking-hyphen (u+2011). To try it out, you can just copy the character ‑ and paste it. That should avoid a line break. Example:

this‑sentence‑will‑result‑in‑a‑very‑long‑line‑but‑because‑it‑uses‑non‑breaking‑dashes‑it‑will‑probably‑be‑line‑broken‑in‑the‑middle‑of‑a‑word‑or‑not‑at‑all.

vs

this-sentence-will-result-in-a-very-long-line-but-because-it-uses-normal-dashes-it-will-most-probably-be-line-broken-just-after-a-dash.

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2019

How do you insert a unicode character by the code when editing a Confluence page?

Like rolland_vandersluis likes this
Danny Aponte November 15, 2020

Thanks, copying and pasting that character "‑" worked for me!

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2023

I am still looking for a way to do this from WITHIN Confluence ... we are now v8

It is super-annoying having to open word, type a phrase with the non-breaking dash and copy/paste that over to Confluence

0 votes
Andrew Mason January 11, 2023

Go into the code editing (<> button) mode and replace the - with &#8209;

0 votes
Eugen Styrz February 28, 2019

Maybe non-breaking-spaces before and after the dash will fit your requirement. Of course only if having a space bevore and after the dash is an option. 

Best, Eugen

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2019

I also need a non-breaking dash!

the non-breaking space is essential for referencing Standards such as IEC 61850 whee the space is mandatory but annoying when it is at the end of a line (perhaps as a result of zooming the screen).

but that Standard has many sub parts such as IEC 61850-7-4 so I need a non-breaking dash.

I have just found the non-breaking Space symbol as <<+Insert>> then <<Symbol>> ... although a bit annoying it is so hard to get to compared to a keyboard short cut like in Word where I press Ctrl+Shift+Space

Stevel Lintz December 15, 2022

Yes, the Confluence editor is lacking (as for all Atlassian products). At least you can insert a non-breaking-space via the UI, by way of the +(Insert more content) :: Symbol popup. For the NBSP you need to click on its invisible spot at the left of the first row. Sadly, a non-breaking-hyphen is not represented there (where "sadly" is a euphemism for "angrifyingly").

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events