Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to insert a hard dash (non-breaking dash)?

Hi, I need to use non-breaking dashes in our product names, since most of them start with R-... and we don't want that hanging at the end of the the line. 

I found how to insert a non-breaking space, but not how to insert a non-breaking dash. Can you help?

Thanks!

2 answers

Maybe non-breaking-spaces before and after the dash will fit your requirement. Of course only if having a space bevore and after the dash is an option. 

Best, Eugen

I also need a non-breaking dash!

the non-breaking space is essential for referencing Standards such as IEC 61850 whee the space is mandatory but annoying when it is at the end of a line (perhaps as a result of zooming the screen).

but that Standard has many sub parts such as IEC 61850-7-4 so I need a non-breaking dash.

I have just found the non-breaking Space symbol as <<+Insert>> then <<Symbol>> ... although a bit annoying it is so hard to get to compared to a keyboard short cut like in Word where I press Ctrl+Shift+Space

You could always insert the unicode character non-breaking-hyphen (u+2011). To try it out, you can just copy the character ‑ and paste it. That should avoid a line break. Example:

this‑sentence‑will‑result‑in‑a‑very‑long‑line‑but‑because‑it‑uses‑non‑breaking‑dashes‑it‑will‑probably‑be‑line‑broken‑in‑the‑middle‑of‑a‑word‑or‑not‑at‑all.

vs

this-sentence-will-result-in-a-very-long-line-but-because-it-uses-normal-dashes-it-will-most-probably-be-line-broken-just-after-a-dash.

How do you insert a unicode character by the code when editing a Confluence page?

Like rolland_vandersluis likes this

Thanks, copying and pasting that character "‑" worked for me!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase

All you wanted to know about customer support KPIs

When working in customer support, it’s crucial to calculate, analyze and monitor specific numbers, called KPIs (Key Performance Indicators). They go hand-in-hand with customer satisfaction, problem d...

107 views 1 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you