How to distribute section/part of page to newsfeed/feed

Per Schrader January 7, 2019

Is it possible to "mark"/label/tag a section of text and publish it on an other page? 

Regards Per

1 answer

1 vote
Jennifer Hemmens January 7, 2019

You can use the "Excerpt include" macros. Place the text you wish to duplicate in the "Excerpt" macro. Then place an "Excerpt include" macro on the other page to render the text there.

Per Schrader January 8, 2019

Hei Jennifer

Tank you for answering. I have tried that macro and it works. What i did not make clare was that I need this funksjonality to be generic in a template-dokument (blueprint). Spesifically in meeting memo where discussions and decisions can be distributed/published to different feeds. 

Regards Per

Jennifer Hemmens January 8, 2019

Hi Per,

I'm not well acquainted with creating custom blueprints as I'm not a programmer, however, I spend a lot of time creating templates!

This macro should work if you insert the "Excerpt include" macro to all of the templates you wish it to automatically be included on. (I just tested it on both a space and a global template, and it worked for me).

Do keep the following in mind:

• User/group permissions: make sure that the page on which you create the original excerpt text is visible to everyone, otherwise they might not be able to access the other page (inherited restrictions) or see the excerpt in other pages it is included on!
  • For the above, it might be useful to make a general space to store "non-confidential" information that all confluence-users can see.
  • When you're inserting the "Excerpt include" macro into the template and you enter the page the excerpt is on, the preview will render an error message. This is because a template is just that - a template. It isn't an actual saved page, and (generally speaking) cannot link to other macros. So don't worry, just ignore the message! As soon as you've published a page using the template, the text will appear :)
Like Per Schrader likes this

Thanks Jennfier:-)

I will try this out, later today. 

Regards Per

Hi Jennifer

Yes it workt niceliy. But it did not solve mye problem. You can only define one excerpt per page. In other words, you can only add the Excerpt macro once to a page. And I need to be flexible on how many diffrent pages i like to publish to from one template. You know how to come around that?

Regards Per

Jennifer Hemmens January 9, 2019

Hi Per, it sounds like you're getting there though! :)

I would suggest you create a space specifically for the excerpts you wish to use. Then create multiple pages in that space for the various excerpts. You (or users) will have to select the relevant page the excerpt is on each time in the include macro when using the template.

Once again, keep permissions in mind! If you want everyone to be able to read the text after publishing the page, ensure this new space has viewing permissions for everyone. You can always restrict editing rights so that they are unable to change the excerpt texts.

As far as I'm aware, you should be able to use the include macro multiple times on the same page if necessary, so you could also have multiple excerpts on one page.

You could also just forget the excerpt/include macros entirely, and simply create multiple templates for various purposes, each with a different text depending on the type. Obviously you can still do this with excerpts - create multiple templates, each with their own include. If you make multiple templates with included excerpts, you won't have to modify the templates each time you want to change the text, you can simply change it in the page the excerpt is on.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Jen

Like Per Schrader likes this
Per Schrader January 11, 2019

Hi Jennifer

I like to do it the other way around. From one document, a "meeting note" template, to multippel pages.  You can only define one excerpt per page. In other words, you can only add the Excerpt macro once to a page. That is my problem... Understand that i can make mulitppel pages for multippel purposes. But not the other way around. 

Regards Per

Jennifer Hemmens January 17, 2019

I don't really understand what you mean (what it is exactly that you want to do).

I know that the excerpt macro can only be included into one page at a time, but the excerpt include can be used multiple times in one page, to include multiple excerpts.

Would it not be easier to make multiple templates, or do you want the text to change (and be updated somewhere else) each time a new page is published?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events