How do I move to Confluence 5 without upgrade ?

Hi,

We are currently using confluence 4.3.3 but we want to move to 5. However we dont want to lose time with upgrade procedures so is there a way to port everything to confluence 5 after a clean install ?

Thanks

1 answer

0 vote

That makes no sense.  A "move" IS an upgrade.  Confluence 5 can't use version 4 data, it MUST be upgraded to be readable to 5.

So, no.  

If you exported the version 4 data and import it into version 5, or point a version 5 install at version 4 data, it will upgrade.  Not move.  Upgrade.

A move may not be always an upgrade; for some applications you can just export data from old one and import to new one which generally takes like 5 minutes. And always makes sense when this kind of upgrade is available.

Anyway we will try the old school version of upgrade then. Please consider writing a middle-ware to ease the process.

Thanks

A "move" would be moving to the same version. If it's a new version, it IS an upgrade. You don't need any middleware or anything else - I mentioned both standard ways of *upgrading* a Confluence from 4 to 5 already - you should use one of them. 1. You could export and import - that is "old school". The import routines will see version 4 data and go "oh, that needs an upgrade" and do that for you. 2. Or you can "point a 5 installation at a 4 data set". It will detect that it needs upgrading and do it. The BEST way to do that is to use a version 5 installer to do the upgrade for you - that will also upgrade your data.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

37 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot