Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I link to a PDF file in the new version without adding it as an image?

Danielle Docheff December 19, 2019

Hello,

It seems like the new version of Confluence no longer allows you to create a link to a PDF (just a webpage). Is anyone aware of a macro or can offer a workaround for this? I know there's an option to add a PDF as an image, but that is not the aesthetic look I am trying to achieve.

On another note, does anyone know the reasoning behind eliminating the link to PDF feature?

Thank you!

2 answers

3 votes
Danielle Docheff December 30, 2019

Hi Diego,

My mistake, I do not believe I'm using Confluence server so the proposed solution won't work for on our end. However, I was able to find a workaround for my issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65302

The available workaround is to:

1. Access the page's attachments through ••• -> Attachments while on view mode
  2. Right click on the attachment's name and copy the link;
  3. Paste the link on the page.

Thanks for your initial response!

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2019

Hello, @Danielle Docheff !

If you are using Confluence server, as described in the question labels, you should be able to switch to the link display mode. Here is what I get when using the link view in Confluence Server 7.0.3:

ServerPDFLinkOption.jpgServerPDFLinkView.jpg

If you are indeed running Confluence Server, we could start by trying out this:

1. Check if you are able to display other file types as links.
  2. Check if the option to display PDF as links is present in another browser.

Now, if it so happens that you are on Confluence Cloud, we can not display attachments as links. There is a request to implement this in our new experience. You can check the request here:

Here is what I see when attaching a PDF file to my pages in Confluence Cloud:

CloudPDFLinkView.jpgCloudPDFLinkOption.jpg

I hope this sheds some light on your issue, Danielle. Looking forward to your reply!

Kamel Adjal March 14, 2021

this does not work for me and confluence cloud :( 

Damian Smith June 23, 2021

Agreed - there's a way to do it in the answer above by separately finding the link to the document and editing it. This seems like a step backwards from what we had before, though. I don't want pages filled with PDF previews.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events