How do I get started on planning a Confluence upgrade?

Jeff Bast March 4, 2020

I'm currently very behind 5.2.5 and want to get on the latest release and once there start migrating to the cloud.  I run Confluence today on Oracle Linux VM version 5.11, but will build new VM running 7.7   Current database is 11.2.0.4, and will go to 19c

Then there's the plugin I already have in 5.2.5 that are starting to fail due to not being supported...  I would need to identify what would be needed in the new version to maintain the same plugins we have today or understand how to handle my existing pages with/without them.

That's a lot of detail, but just tying to plan how to get this started to develop a plan

- Jeff

2 answers

0 votes
Jeff Bast April 24, 2020

Close case, I have completed upgrade all the way to 7.3.3, doing oracle 19c this weekend

0 votes
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2020

Hi Jeff, I think that's good detail that will help others answer your questions.

I'm not a system-level admin, so speaking from a space admin perspective, a couple things to consider for your overall plan.

First, it's possible to run a search to find all instances of a specific macro, in case this function isn't available on system admin screens. The syntax is something like this, but you may need to modify,

https://rndwiki.inc.hpicorp.net/confluence/dosearchsite.action?queryString=macroName%3Acode&startIndex=0&where=SPACEKEY

(I've done this a couple times to try to understand the frequency and end user impact of an expired macro.)

Second, have a good, proactive communication plan with stakeholders and end users. Have a method for them to report problems.

Third, as a space admin, I've built a small collection of pages with macro examples on them that can help me see which macros might have problems after an upgrade or other change. I also have a checklist of key pages that people rely on to make sure those are okay.

Just a few thoughts from a space admin / end user perspective.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events