Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I fix 'Incorrect character set' errors

Hello,

I'm trying to setup confluence and mysql Docker containers.

I have them both building successfully but when I try to set up confluence, I get this error:

Incorrect character set

Your database must be configured to use utf8 as the default character set. Learn more

I've specified the character set in the docker-compose file like this:

command: [mysqld, --character-set-server=utf8, --collation-server=utf8_bin, --default-storage-engine=INNODB, --max_allowed_packet=256M, --innodb_log_file_size=2GB, --transaction-isolation=READ-COMMITTED, --binlog_format=row]

I've also tried setting it in the database url like this:

jdbc:mysql://mysql/db?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I was able to resolve this issue myself. I had added the character-set-server and collation-server to the mysqld command in the docker-compose.yml file but for some reason that wasn't being used in the rebuild when using docker-compose up.  Being as I am just getting started and had nothing in the database, I was able to remove the shared folder on the host that contained all the mysql files and used docker-compose up --force-recreate which resolved the issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Admins, notify your Jira instance of system-wide changes with the new admin announcement banner

Hi All! We’re excited to share the launch of an announcement banner that lets Jira site administrators communicate directly to their users across their  Jira Cloud instance.  ...

772 views 17 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you